Does rabbit eat goumi tree?

I have a dwarf russian almond tree, rabbit eat it spring, summer, fall and winter. I will replace it with a goumi. Does rabbit will eat it, or i will only need to protect in winter?

1 Like

@LeJardinier

They love autumn olive a close cousin to goumi. I bet they like goumi very much!

1 Like

I haven’t noticed them mess with my Guomi, but maybe they had guards when they were young. They did decapitate one of my autumn olives multiple times.

2 Likes

I had them chewing off some small lower goumi branches so I put chicken wire around them rather than finding out how much more damage they might do.

2 Likes

I know that groundhogs love goumi. They strip all the leaves off my bushes. I now put wire cages around them until they size up.

3 Likes

we talking cottontail or snowshoe hare? we only have snowshoe hares here and they rarely touch people’s gardens or trees. will strip lower branches on small conifers in a Christmas tree farm.

1 Like

What’s snow? :slight_smile: Cottontails will eat about anything here (although they don’t enjoy the wild plums very much), especially if the winter is tough and I forget to drop some extra branches for them. If I can remember, they really love honeylocust branches.

1 Like

I never even thought about it. I planted two this spring. You can bet after the rain passes, I will pop out there with some cages. Thanks for the thought.

1 Like