Does this bark graft look abnormal to you?

My pluots are 3 years old, bloomed great last year, but nothing set. Because of the death wish apricots seem to have when planted west of the Cascades, I figured the protected and drier conditions of a tunnel hoop house might make these relatives more fruitful. Heat units not so much the goal as a drier environment. Have another covered space for apricots and nectarines. In this case it’s to thwart peach leaf curl. Amazing how no rain on leaves=no PLC.
Jury’s out on fruit production so far.

Ok, understand!

When I moved here in 1994 and started a new home, i planted an apricot tree. Did not take many years for me to see its vulnerability. So I replaced it with a cherry only to see it’s no better! So that’s why I am reluctant to try pluots. If you have any luck let me know. Maybe if you have success, I will add pluots next spring!

For now I am rapidly expanding my plum and frost free peach varieties. The below list is what I added this spring, most are doing well. While on Lopez Island in March we were able to collect scions from 8 different trees. Only 1 tree had started opening buds, but even those scions seem to be working. After a few more weeks I will see if they actually grow.
Dennis

Label codes for plum grafts: (A thru W)

Variety. Pollinizer. Bloom time
Adara. Early
B. Beauty. SF, SR, S. Late J
Bl. Black ice. Toka. Mid Ch plum
F. Flavor Supreme. SR, W. Early pluot
H. Hollywood. SF. Mid J
K. Kuban Comet. PSF. Pollinate with Japanese or cherry plum
L1-8. Lopez Island. Early to Mid
MR. Mt Royal. PSF. Late Genus: Prunus domestica
N. Nadia. SR, B, H, SW Early
O. Ozark Premier. SH. Early J
S. Superior. SR,Toka. Mid J
SH. Shiro. SR, B, S. Early J
SW. Sweet Treat N, SR, F, SH,W Late
SR. Santa Rosa. SF, SH, B, S. Early J
T. Toka. BI, Superior. Mid J
W. Waneta. PSF. T. Early A

For best Cross pollination:
Graft MR near Geneva Mirabelle tree and N Wild plum.
Graft B, BL, SR, SW, H any of these 5 near Nadia!
Graft S, T, W near each other.
Graft O near Shiro!

A bit ugly but should be fine. I would support it for awhile. A good wind could snap it.

@DennisD Pluot trees are basically Japanese Plum trees. The wood, leaves, diseases, pests are all the same. That is the case for all of the Pluot and Japanese Plum trees that I have tried. If you are successfully growing Japanese Plum trees in your location then you will have the same results with Pluots.

1 Like

Appreciate your comment. I currently have no producing Asian plums but I hope to next year as I am this year grafting on quite a selection. If they do well I may add pluots next year.
Dennis