Doyenne Gris pear

Would have expected pears but not yet apparently.

3 Likes

This is my Doyenne Gris this year, first year fruiting. Took this picture middle of August, it has been this small and with splits all summer. I have a limb of Duchesse D’Angouleme above it that has the same small pears. Last year the DDA had several nice pears. There is also a couple of Bosc up high that are also small, first year for them. Scions are on a Red Anjou that has been in the ground since 2010. Any idea why this is happening?
DSCN2361

1 Like

@tessie5

There are two things going on but they are weather related 1. Not enough rain then a good rain is what causes pears to split. If i had to guess i would say really its any extreme water condition. 2. Very late winter lasting longer into spring than it should have. That shorts the growing season which leads to smaller pears that dont have time to size up. 1 can overlap 2 and vice versa. This is assuming the trees are big enough to produce etc… The pears in addition to these two things are not storing enough carbohydrates in the roots in my opinion based on my own experience.

Thank you for the information. I don’t remember if winter lasted longer than usual but it did warm up some and then we had a long wet cold spring. It delayed vegetable garden by a few weeks which is doing well now with the 90+ F weather. Always next year.

1 Like