Dragonfruit S. ocamponis

Two decades ago I was reading about Hylocereus and came across H. ocamponis in S. Facciola’s Cornucopia II (p.64). I obtained the plant from a source listed in the reference section and planted it in Rancho Penasquitos. A couple years later I gave a cutting of it to Edgar Valdivia whose collection was in its infancy. This became known as “Valdivia Roja”.

This month as my H. guatemalensis began fruiting I began pining for that plant. I found it offered by an online seller and it arrived yesterday. If it turns out to be true to type the plant will have come full circle :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Can’t wait to see it!

1 Like

New bud

3 Likes

Note: fruiting Hylocereus have recently been reclassified in the genus Selenicereus.

1 Like

Yesterday

4 Likes

This year the plant has a half dozen flowers so far. Two have set fruit a week ago a three more bloomed yesterday.

6 Likes

9/29. Harvest!

4 Likes

Sampled them yet?

1 Like

We had one for dessert this evening. Very good flavor, not bland or watery. It is similar to strawberry but not as sweet.

4 Likes

11/7. Half pounder.

3 Likes

So this fruit was much more flavorful than the last. It’s definitely a berry flavor but not strawberry nor Rubus either.

3 Likes