Drying Eureka persimmon

These taste good but all went soft at once. So I cut some up to dry in my sunroom. Posting only because I like the translucent orange color. Never looks quit as good in a picture but still nice.

6 Likes

Looking delicious!

That is gorgeous. It would make a good “wallpaper” for a smartphone.

1 Like

Those are beautiful. I hope I will have some to taste next year too!

I bought some more chocolate persimmons last weekend. They are firm, but a few days in a plastic bag with a couple of apples, and they turn to candy sweet jelly.

I think mine all ripened pretty much together because one got ripe and released ethylene to ripen the others. If they had more ventillation that probably won’t have happened.

I had a really low harvest this year on the persimmons. My Hachiya died last winter and it produced the bill of my harvest. Then the deer got wind of them for a change and ate anything in their reach. But I still have a tray or two ripening in the garage now.

Here is the 50 lbs of California dehydrated Fuyu Looked like. These will be the healthy snacks for our children. Good sources of Vitamins and fiber during Winter months.

Tony

2 Likes

Where did you buy Chocolate persimmons? I want to try them.

Murky, Albertson’s at Salmon Creek. They were in boxes of 4 persimmons. My usually cheap brain forced me to forget the price. Not cheap. Photo is now. I just ate them.

Ah… dried persimmons… Yum!

I have friends with a 30 year old Hachiya tree that almost always has lots of fruits. Even with the drought, this year was no exception. I picked and processed/dried over 150 pounds of fruit, all peeled. Last year I didn’t peel most of them and we decided that peeled was enough better to warrant the added labor. Oy! At one time I had two dehydrators with extra racks going. I prefer drying at lower temps so it can take longer, and I make sure they are totally dry.

This year the results might have been the best ever because of the water stress on the trees. The fruits were not as large, but they were extremely sweet, and the resulting fruits are candy-like. And gorgeous - an enchanting rich, translucent orange.

They’ll make lovely holiday gifts. I might dip some in chocolate, which I’ve been told is exceptional.

Besides eating straight, my favorite use is in a salad dressing. Soak a couple slices in water till soft (over night in frig) then in a blender, add your favorite oil, vinegar, seasonings. The persimmon is a great emulsifier and flavor additive. You might have to add some water to get thin enough.

2 Likes

With the astringent varieties, at least, is there a window before they lose all their astringency when the deer still won’t bother them but they can be picked and finished ripening indoors?

They are definitely less interested when they are astringent, and some years they have stayed away completely. But this year I have a lot of deer pressure. I have them inside ripening now and they are still not there so the deer must have been eating astringent ones.

1 Like

The pictures I’ve seen of Chocolate are much more brown inside. Were they good?

Oh man, they were so good! As sweet as dates, but very juicy and rich. Almost syrupy when ripened.

I saw online photos of Chocolate as brown. Maybe they are pollination variant? These were seedless. Maybe they need seeds to develop the brown color. Or maybe the seller labeled them wrong.

By the way, Chuck’s has several varieties of persimmons. Not cheap. If you get 20 persimmons from a tree, you have basically paid for it, and all the rest is gravy.

That’s right, Chocolate is pollination variant. Good to hear they are great even without pollination. And apparently it is a suitable pollen source for Coffeecake. I was at Chuck’s (on Mill Plain) yesterday. I only noticed what I presumed where Hachiya and Fuyu.

The one at Salmon Creek had some by the apples, and others with Asian fruits. I dont know the varieties. May
be just what you mentioned. My goal is to have some Saijo and Nikita’s gift next year. Buds are a
swelling a little, Im semi worried about that.