Each mushroom species have a preferred type of wood to colonize

Oyster are said to colonize faster on Poplars than most trees. Started this topic because every tree has some fungi that will colonize it better than others. Bringing this up because I grow some hybrid poplars as a wind break why not top them use the logs for mushrooms?

Aspen , cotton woods, willows, contains salicin
which is similar to aspirin. Salicin is taken from the bark and leaf. I’m not sure if it has anything to do with why the oyster like these trees or not.

Most think salicin is a defense mechanism that defends against insects Metabolism of poplar salicinoids by the generalist herbivore Lymantria dispar (Lepidoptera) - ScienceDirect

@scottfsmith once mentioned a blackberry he could taste the salicin in which he described as bitter like aspirin. Plenty of wild blackberries have a slight aspirin like taste. Wild blackberries and other berries occasionally have a very strong aspirin like flavor. It’s worth mentioning since most soil, plants, insects, and fungi have a complexed relationship not well understood.

2 Likes

I just put up several totems of oysters on weeping willow logs. We had a large willow blow over in a storm so I ordered a block of Italian oyster and a block of gray dove oyster. I should have taken pictures, but they are now in garbage bags during the inoculation period. I also prepped oak limbs for shiitake mushrooms.

I guess I should explain a bit better. I ordered blocks of sawdust spawn. You start with a log about 3 feet long and cut it into 3 or 4 lengths. Spread about a quarter inch of spawn between the layers and stack them upright. Cover with a garbage bag for a few months to encourage colonization/moisture retention. I ordered from Field and Forest. Their website or catalog will explain the process much more thoroughly.

2 Likes

2 Likes

ive found while softer hardwood trees such as aspen and willow fruit sooner with oysters. harder hardwoods like maple and oaks will remain fruiting for many more years. i usually do a mix of wood when i can. i took 4 totems i made of hard maple/ summer and fall oysters and used them as a raised bed around a apple tree. they have been flushing now for 4 years.

2 Likes