Early Elberta Rock Hard August 14th

My Mom’s tree has nice-looking peaches but they’re rock hard. .

We’re patient. I am wondering if this happens to any peach some years? This will be her first crop on a 5-year tree.

Zone 5b IL. I would’ve thought they’d been ready around August 1st, but it appears they have weeks to go. Should she ripen some in a paper bag, on the counter, or just hold off?

Dax

1 Like

My Elberta (if that’s really what it is) are still hard and larger than a golf ball. I’m in zone 5A

1 Like

Well that helps, actually.

Thanks, Sean.

Dax

1 Like

Aug. 1st would be closer to the date for Redhaven here (pretty much exactly the mid-point of my harvest the last two years). I could not quickly find the days of Early Elberta vs. Redhaven.

Do you know how many weeks Early Elberta is supposed to ripen before Elberta? I think Elberta is about 4 weeks after Redhaven.

2 Likes

Hey Sean,

I have a July elberta peach here in zone 7 which still is not ready to pick. I don’t know why. If it is any condolence, my other peach tree had golf ball size peaches for what seemed like forever until all of a sudden they looked like normal peaches. Keep hope alive!

2 Likes

I thought Early Elberta @Levers101 is one week earlier. I didn’t read that anywhere recently, however. Thanks for researching. I did as well and also was surprised that ‘Early Elberta’ wasn’t coming up.

Dax

1 Like

Here in 5a NY, Redhaven is just starting to soften. I don’t have Elberta, but I got the impression that it would be more like mid-September for this climate. That would put Early Elberta at the beginning of September. Is this peach mostly yellow when ripe?

2 Likes

July (Early) Elberta is supposed to ripen two weeks after Redhaven. Of course, it can vary in different locales.

2 Likes

my starkbro July elberta ripe around end of August。some start to soft most are still hard

2 Likes

Thanks all. @AJfromElmiraNY My Mom’s peaches are mostly yellow. She left a few unbagged and the rest she bagged. I’ll post photos when they’re ready. Looks like she may get 25-30 peaches.

Dax

1 Like