Easiest type of fruit to grow where you live?

I am wondering what do you consider the easiest type of fruit to grow in ground where you live. By easiest I mean the least initial and ongoing care needed. For my area along the zone 8b/9a line in western Louisiana I would rank them as follows:

1, Citrus, in particular Satsumas, plant them in the ground, give them some fertilizer and water from time to time at least until they get establishied, and have some active freeze protection a few nights per year until they are semi mature.

2, Blueberries, plant them wiith some peat and pine mulch, and they will grow, if perhaps not thrive, I have one 20+ year old blueberry bush in my yard that is 7 ft tall, and about that wide that had no care for 10+ year, and another of similar age that is about half that size. So not living up to there potential, but not bad for no fertilizer, no pH conditioning, and no pruning. I am working on nursing them back to health now. Native soil pH is around 5.7-5.8

3, Blackberries, basically plant, fertilize a bit and prune old canes, or if you don’t mind dealing with the thorns there are also the wild ones, there is one wild patch nearby (within site of the house a few hundred feet away) that probably covers half an acre or more.

4, Pears, at least some varieties, they grow with little or no additional care, but it seems the squirrels always destroy all the fruit long before it gets ripe.

Figs and blueberries. Stick them in the ground and harvest. Blueberries are happy with our soil pH.

Pomegranates are almost as easy, except that you might want to prune them now and then.

You could have all the wild blackberries you ever dreamed of with no care at all. The hard work is trying to eliminate them.

Pears are likely to be the tree fruit requiring the least care to obtain edible fruit.

Everything else that I’ve grown takes somewhere between a little bit of periodic attention and a great deal of work.

Our growing conditions aren’t drastically different from yours. I don’t know if you have a tendency toward summer long droughts like I do.

Others in my area can correct me. Here goes:
Blackberries
Figs
Persimmons
Goumi-Autumn Olive-Silverberry-Eleagnus
Pawpaw
Mulberries
Aronia
Grapes
Pineapple Guava
Pears
Plums
Raspberries
Blueberries
Flying Dragon Citrus
Gooseberries
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

At the top of the list: Figs.

I should have probably put figs on my list also, but did not becuase the varieties that grow well around here tend to take so many years before they first produce any fruit.

I certainly haven’t tried everything but…

Paw paws and blackberries/raspberries are wild here in Virginia. I know of several different productive paw paw patches within running distance of my house. Same for raspberries… I have to weed out wild raspberries every year thanks to the birds.

I have also found wild persimmons so I would grade those as essentially effortless as well.

I have a few beach plums I planted last year (also native to the east coast). They flowered profusely this year (after all the frost) and appear to be on their way to setting a good crop of plums. From what I have read they are likely the easiest stone fruit to grow in my area. (I spoke to the guys at Edible Landscaping about how they care for their mature beach plums and they said they do essentially nothing, no pruning, no spraying, and they still get good crops of plums.)

I am not qualified to give my input yet as I bet on jujubes, pawpaws and persimmons to be the easiest in my yard but they are still very young. I probably could form my opinion in 4 years.

Figs is relatively easy but I cannot put them in ground. Growing figs in pots require potting up, root pruning and moving them in and out. The bigger the pot, the harder it is. Those tasks make the “easy” less easy.

My soil has about 6.5 ph and my well water is very alkaline. That makes growing blueberries a real pain in adjusting ph. I’ve tried it all incluing planted some in pure peat moss. After 5 years, I gave up on blueberries.

There’s nothing that grows easily and fruits regularly outdoors here. Even irrigation doesn’t improve the situation. Well except maybe goji berries and they’re too bitter for me to call them real fruit. Apples and late blooming pears fruit some most yrs. But they’re not really easy to grow IMO.

3 Likes

Isaac,

I get figs from a brand new cutting by just stick it in the ground. You just have to pinch the tip off every 3 to 5 leaf to promote breda production. I pinched all my in-ground ot potted fig tips every week, They also branched out very well. My fig bushes at the end of the Summer measured around 4X4 feet each. You will have abundant of fig cuttings in the fall for a lifetime.

Tony

1 Like

Cactus pears and jujubes.

Maybe black raspberries… strawberries are simple… Pretty easy to net to keep the birds off.

raspberries and strawberries seem to be pretty bomb-proof once they are stable and rooted.

both sweet and sour cherries (Lapins and Montmorency) did pretty good at my old place, no spraying just grown a few years from sapling on their own, moved and did not bring them with :frowning:

Currants came and kept coming, no matter what I didn’t do for them–they got a good start on the north side of the house under 3" of bark mulch, and I think as that rotted it left them very happy.

Going back to trees, I had a nice shinseiki and that thing was very productive, again no real spraying, but it over-bore until every pear was the size of a racketball and the tree took in a permanent semi-weep…this was before I learned not to just neglect trees.

The only thing I had significant issue with was the plums, had one green gage did like a week after a 3-day midsummer rain from what I assume was some bacterial thing, and the japanese plum was both a beetle/ant magnet and prone to jelly fungus and weeping sores…and blueberries I could not get to grow past the yearly rabbit-pruning

Here both cultivated and wild, mulberries, raspberries, and paw paws. I would add cornus mas too.

1 Like

Figs and pears.

Figs
Peaches
Plums
Pears
Blackberries
Blueberries

I have always taken my fig tree for granted. After joining this forum I realized what some people have to do to get a fig or two.
What I’d love to grow but can’t? Cherries.

Figs and olives. Equally carefree. And for me, oddly, pears. Even though we have FB here, so far, only one strike my first year on my Seckel, brutally cut out. Have 17 different pear cultivars, and all I do is keep them down and open. Easy, peasy.

Here the easiest things to grow are pecans, figs, blackberries, and pears. The biggest problem growing them is keeping the crows out of them. My pecans and figs I never do anything to and they are loaded every year. It is just a fight to get anything before the crows.

1 Like

Plums, Pluots, Apricots and Apriums have grown so easily for me. I always do well with strawberries until the first harvest. Then everything goes south. Even after having taken out all flowers for 3 months. Blueberries are the worst for me. After killing 10 or so of them, I now have two that look like they might survive. Maybe it’s the raised bed.

Here in Iowa it used to be black raspberries, but I don’t know what they are like now with spotted wing drosophila… maybe they are too early for SWD to be a problem? I had some red raspberries from a family member that had SWD in them last year. Ick.

Morus rubra/alba otherwise. Lots and lots of tasteless mulberry out and around. It makes better firewood.

Juneberry/serviceberry works well also, but the birds like them.

They ----should---- be early enough to avoid swd… i think.