Enjoying this read

1 Like

Iā€™ve never figured out Fukuokaā€™s no-tilling thing, but we donā€™t pesticides and only use organic fertizilers, including manure from our chickens. Chicken and ducks are allowed to visit gardens off-season. When the weeds get out of hand, however, we try not to speak aloud ā€œFukuoka!ā€

2 Likes

By his remark ā€¦I am going to paraphrase ā€˜natural farming is the perfection of human beingsā€™ I understand that his ā€œpathā€ if it may be called that, is an all or nothing venture, more of a meditation on what works in nature as it is already, before your eyesā€¦and trying to fit yourself into that grove rather than bend nature to your own ways ( ie. tilling , monoculture, tinkering in any way, perhaps even planning) Kind of a Zen approach. It is all encompassing, and goes beyond what you do outdoors with plants end such, I must admit, I have dug gardens all my life and turned in manure etcā€¦and aside from the initial ability for root crops such as carrots to make their way downward (before a few rains and it hardens up again into concrete) I have never really seen that much benefit to tillingā€¦I have done some lasagna gardening over the past few years with great resultsā€¦One year I had almost unbelievable resultsā€¦I put down fresh (hot) manureā€¦over top of that I put well composted manure and whatever other layers I donā€™t recallā€¦but the rate of growth on the lettuce and other greens that I planted ā€¦probably due to the extra heat was astounding

1 Like