Eva's Pride Peach in Vista CA

I was wanting an Eva’s Pride for the past 2 years and didn’t like the way they looked at my nursery and I didn’t want it on Citation. However, they had a 3-1 Zaiger peach tree that had Eva, August, and May Pride on Nemaguard that looked super vigorous and healthy, so I bought that instead.

3 Likes

Yet Citation is ideal for southern California.

Citation has been great for my plums and hit and miss for my peaches and nectarines.

1 Like

Bizarre.

Bud break.

3 Likes

Still bareroot and blooming :slight_smile:

Bareroot%20Eva's%20Pride%20in%20bloom%202019-01-25

Seems like an eternity before I will see my trees bloom…

2 Likes

My peaches and nectarines in the ground have no sign of bud break yet.

I noticed today the 2 year old graft of Eva’s Pride peach on my tree has the majority of its flowers at the popcorn stage. Wow, is it a low chill variety.

2 Likes

Since obtaining the tree it’s been sitting in 1/4 orchid bark. Today I transplanted it into the same container but with soil. This will give me more time to procrastinate digging out the stump and roots presently in its future home.

Eva's%20Pride%20transplanted%202019-02-22

In the ground!

5 Likes

7 Likes

Still deeply dormant here…

1 Like

Richard, your soil and mine are worlds apart. It looks so rich and loamy. Have you built it up over time? Also, are all your trees irrigated?

You’re seeing 1-2 inches of kiln dried redwood bark on top of the soil. :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, all our outdoor plants are on automated irrigation.

Here’s our 4’ tall sapling loaded with fruit sets. This afternoon I removed 5 lbs of them - leaving 4 fruits on the primary scaffolding near the trunk. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Looking good Richard! I think Peach or Nectarine on Citation works for you because you give it ample and regular irrigation. If it gets a bit dry, like how my stingy self keeps it, it’ll go dormant pretty soon. Dormant as in stop growing. So, in my new home all peaches/nectarines will be on Lovell.

4 Likes

@Richard Do you do anything with your thinning’s? I found lots of recipes for picked green peaches. And I suspect green peaches might work as well as the green Japanese apricots (ume plum). My wife is just going to kill me when she see me thinning the fruit this year. I going to have to try either or both of these projects.

I had same problem with citation when I lived in San Jose. Lovell was much better. I noticed before I left many of the dwn trees at retailers had switched to Lovell over citation, where it was reverse a few years before. I wonder if that was due to negative reports of citation.

If we did not thin our peach and nectarine the branches would break from the weight of maturing fruit. We’ve no motivation to utilize the immature fruits - especially with Citrus ripening at this time.