Ever wonder what will happen to your fruit trees?

The walls were all open /// i would have upgraded it all… i think they would have done most of it themselves (running wire/electrical panel/etc)…maybe get an electrician out there to look it over and finish it…not sure (farm house out in the sticks). End of the day he chose the granite :slight_smile: A lot of buyers though will only see those counter tops and that will sell it…as the house burns to the ground because of faulty wiring.

Not a big fan of shiplap…i’ve watched enough fixxer upper to know its the only thing that matters…along with those sliding doors …not a fan of either. My brother (and his family) built a cabin and put a bunch of shiplap up…you can already see the joints shrinking…i didn’t ask, but i really hope the whole vapor barrier thing was done correctly…this is Minnesota where the nights get cold and moisture needs to be dealt with correctly.

1 Like

You know Clark, I think about this kind of stuff a lot & i’m only 33.

My project of coarse is here, History of where my Orchard is planted (being planted).

I bet all those years ago that guy wondered who would take care of his when he was gone too. We have 3 left standing, I don’t spray them or trim them, I just enjoy the old relics they are and they’ll likely cross pollinate with my orchard trees before they finally succumb to age. I have offspring of all 3 of them grafted but for now I’m enjoying his work.

My kids are very young, I hope in 5-10 years when I have tons of fruit they will eat some and enjoy it enough to at least want to carry the torch when i’m an old man.

1 Like

I have done the same thing with all my fruit trees. I am glad I am not the only one that has thought to do that.
I had some fruit trees at another house I lived in years ago. I made a map of the trees, no metal tags, for the new owner. One of the first things he did was to tear out all the fruit trees and all my flower beds I had made. I was sick when I saw what he did. I know, his place, he can do what he wants to do with it.

1 Like

I take refuge in knowing my attitude was shaped by raising excellent children. The trees out back have been carefully thought over, tended seasonally and spoken of highly. Both are testimonies to the man I am becoming, and the good fruit will outlive me in both cases.

One of my sons is a Honeycrisp fan; doesn’t like fruit with “too much” flavor or character. He is in many ways the reverse of his father, who raves about tasting Karmijn de Sonnaville. That’s an apple with flavor that grabs you by the tonsils and doesn’t let go. For that reason I grafted Lamb Abbey Pearmain, which may have a better chance of fruiting well here than KdS, which requires more humidity than obtains in Spokane. Maybe my youngest son will like Court Pendu Rose and Edelborsdorfer if they both fruit here, which are being tried for a variety of reasons, even if they might be milder.

1 Like

Since KdS seems to require a fair amount of humidity (those I’ve tasted were grown on the bank of Columbia River) I do not consider it worth trying in my very dry spot. Neither will I try Golden Harvey, unless it does supremely well in a spot higher upcountry where I grafted it this season. Suntan (Cox Orange Pippin x Court Pendu Plat) is very tasty - got a sample from Scott Farm, VT last winter. I grafted Lamb Abbey Pearmain last month in hope it proves durable in my conditions. It is Zeke Goodband’s favorite and reputed strongly flavored. Zeke is chief orchardist at Scott Farm.
Oh, and I grafted Brownlee’s Russet next to Golden Harvey because it compares favorably with Ashmead’s Kernel. BR is self fertile, precocious, highly flavored and Nick Botner wrote in Fruit, Nut & Berry Inventory “best of the russets.”
If you’ve ever eaten Goldrush, I have to say KdS has MORE taste than even that. It’s not as hard nor will it keep as long as Goldrush.

My daughter has started finding acorns and other seeds in my grandsons pockets, he is five and has learned that those seeds will grow into plants. I hope he inherits my trees…

5 Likes

That’s a really good sign. Let’s hope they don’t tax us all out of our land and someone can inherit it.

3 Likes