Experience growing Malus sieversii varieties from USDA Germplasm repository in Geneva, NY?

I was thinking about the many varieties of Malus sieversii listed on the USDA apple germplasm site, but held off on trying to get any because the list doesn’t really describe the characteristics of each variety. I figured I would ask if anyone here has experience growing any of them? If so, how did the tree(s) behave in the orchard? What was the fruit like in terms of appearance and flavor? If so, how did the tree(s) behave in the orchard? What was the fruit like in terms of appearance and flavor? Disease resistance? Did any of them have red flesh? Seems like a lot of potential there worth exploring, so I’m looking forward to any replies. Thanks!

1 Like

I have Kaz96 - 3 15
and Kizil Alma 826
the latter should be red fleshed, but is a slow growing (obviously crab) tree and hasn’t bloomed, but possibly might this spring at 4th leaf and three feet tall on a semi dwarf root…
the first, I have no idea, it was graciously gifted me by someone in Washington State.

I didn’t get them from GRIN, but I did download their holdings somewhere about 5 years ago.

I presume they may be malus seversii but I don’t know. Before I load up on more, I want to get fruit from the two I have…

Likely somebody here can offer better details than I can.

2 Likes

Blueberry, thanks for relaying your experience so far. I hope your Kizil Alma 826 flowers for you this year.

I did a little more looking and on this page Malus sieversii from USDA … a Widespread Malus data compilation | Widespread Malus, Boulder County Apples I found some tables describing many attributes of the Malus sieversii specimens in the USDA collection. I had the best luck downloading the Excel file.

1 Like