Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

You are right. They were touting the benefits of crab apples as pollinators generally speaking. They said crab apples bloomed on one year old wood and could be cut back more heavily.

Sorry I did not read more carefully. Interesting that pink blooms or white blooms with pink edges could bridge the gap between white and pink blooms though.

I’ve been tending to put red fleshed grafts on the same couple of trees thinking their bloom time was more aligned.

I also ordered a couple of group 1 and 2 pollination scions to be partners for my Niedz. I think I have two varieties on every tree that has really early blooms. As we discussed frustrating when they bloom and there are no pollinators to pare with. Might be a good reason to keep some pollen available.

2 Likes

@BlueBerry @SkillCult saves pollen from his projects and sells it every year. Might be a good thing to ask him about (how he does it) at the NAFEX conference this weekend (Nov 10-12). He’s giving the keynote.

4 Likes

Yes I’m time tuned in for that. I’ve never been successful at getting his scions or pollen but it’s always a possibility.

One and only Blush Rosette. A summer drought followed by serious rain, many of my apples cracked including BR. Judging from the color of seeds (light brown), it was only midway to ripen.

Texture was crumbly. Tasted very mild. Well, excessive moisture it absorbed ruined the taste and texture.

2 Likes

Some red fleshed apples @mamuang kindly shared with me. All were good. Rubaiyat had the most flavor. Hard to make any real judgements, though. We had a tough growing season where a bad drought was followed by heavy rains just as apples started to ripen. Lots of cracking and watercore.
But next year! Next year will be the year!

9 Likes

Steven,
Fantastic pics!!!.

I am happy to share my fruit with a friend like you who appreciates home grown fruit.

I finished picking Rubaiyat today. Some got bird pecks due to their red color and they were exposed on top of the tree.

Pink Parfait is still several days away, I think.

4 Likes

Stephen Edholm often saves pollen and uses it the following year.

1 Like

Yes.

The item not yet verified is the % of that year old pollen that is viable.

1 Like

By coincidence, I tried one of mine today, too. It was pretty good, but not up to its potential yet. I suspect they’ll be ready about the first week of December here in Point Reyes, which is often the case.

1 Like

Asked the pollen viability question of Steven at nafex but they didn’t get to mine. Must have been a lot of questions. Good presentation!

2 Likes

I wish my zone would ld be better for Pink Parfait. Even with not ideal weather, the quality was great after a few weeks in the fridge.

To me, it beat out a much improved Rubaiyat.

Too bad, we could get ad low as 27F this coming week. I will need to pick all remaining apples if it goes that low.

1 Like

Have you heard of Red King?

I have Etter’s Pink Pearmian, courtesy Ram. The first year it produced it was a spitter. Had not picked from it in the last 10 years because i have better things to do with my time and my mouth. This year I chose to give it another go because somewhere on this forum a member mentioned that some trees need a couple of years to reach their flavor potential. It was a very good apple. I appreciate having a place to find real information that has nothing to do with making a sale or obtaining grant money. THANKS to every one here, and if you have a young tree that isnt as good as the famous ,‘they’s’ say, just give it time and try it again.

1 Like

Re: finding red-fleshed apples at the grocer, a few years ago I bought some Pink Pearl to put into hand made mice meat pies. Excellent flavor, color, texture (kept shape baked), but haven’t seen it at that store since.
This year was terrible for growing fruit, with the coldest latest spring ever followed by 47 days above 90°F & 13% humidity on those days. Might be part of the reason it wasn’t offered this year. Will ask the green grocer about it next August, in plenty of time for planning.

1 Like

Can’t let that one slide. What do “mice” taste like? lol :slight_smile: :smiley: :open_mouth:

1 Like

Don’t know the variety. Great soft red fleshed apple! :yum:

3 Likes

Good to know someone reads my ramblings.

More like rabbit than chicken, perhaps. I have three mince meat recipes, all of which aim at about a pound of beef for the mixture. (Best I’ve ever had someone else made with elk venison.) A pound of lean would require quite a few mice! Since you caught this, I won’t bother editing the missing “n.”

3 Likes

Mike, are you currently growing any of the red fleshed varieties? If so, any experiences to share?

So many I’ve grafted still have not fruited. The old Niedzwetzkyana - tree ripened in a good rainy summer - is still about as good a red flesh as I’ve gotten to sample so far. Other than being a little bigger and prettier hanging on the tree, Redfield is no improvement over it. And the first couple years, Odysso has disappointed.

I don’t have any seedlings to report on so far.

Please don’t give up odysso. She is a wonderfull apple on all levels but not a top on first years… one day she will surprise you… it was like this with me too…

2 Likes

When I see the results of crossings with red-fleshed apples, it seems that red flesh inherits dominantly. This is because the F1 already contains red-fleshed offspring.
Do we also know how many or which different genes determine the intensity of the red flesh?

1 Like