Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Winter Red Flesh

Redlove Jederman’s

4 Likes

You should have Redfield in bloom then??

2 Likes

I still didn’t receive it…

Has anyone grafted the Black Strawberry?
What color is your wood. I’m surprised mine is white.

5 Likes

If my understanding is correct, most of the Surprise offspring that Albert Etter used in breeding does not have red pigment in the leaves and tissue of the tree, just inside the apple.
The Geneva crab and other trees from Niedzetzkyana. do have red leaves, mgenta/pink/purple blooms, and pigmented scion. A different gene is involved…to get the resulting red flesh.

2 Likes

It is, indeed.

2 Likes

Mine was pretty much same color. Grafted onto red love Calypso major color difference

2 Likes

i have a stick of it on my crabapple. looks like it to me.

I feel like the modern red-fleshed varieties have white wood currently.
To this ask if the choice of these varieties with a white wood would bring less acidity.
Here the wood of a red kessabel.

6 Likes

You’re asking some good questions. But most of my experiments are using the ones having red (purplish) blooms and red pigmented limbs and leaves.
There is more ASTRINGENCY apparently, though I’ve yet to taste a Rubaiyat or a LucyGlo for comparison.

Astringency, or tannins, contribute to the “structure” of cider, giving it a dry finish. I find it in both Winekist & Redfield in my region. I expect it will show up in the fruit of Otterson when that happy day comes. (None of my trees are big enough yet to offer bushels of fruit for squeezing into juice.)

I will probably mix one or all of them with Maiden Blush, Lamb Abbey, Twenty Ounce or Gold Rush. I would need three trees of Claygate to get enough fruit to blend with, but am sure it would be worth trying.

1 Like

How did you make out with Medaille d’Or ? I almost didn’t move it out of the nursery bed to the orchard but finally gave in last fall. I have 4 trees on B.118 and I’m questioning if I’ll be able to get it to bloom or ripen here.

The excitement I put into that purchase will haunt me for years, no doubt. It came mislabeled. What I got was Honeycrisp, which at the time I hoped would at least be Twenty Ounce. No actual cider apple (apart from the three red-fleshed now growing in my yard or next door, and Goldrush) ever survived a year in my experience.
As I understand, Médaille d’Or is slow or “tardy” to come into bearing. Give it time, then maybe some more time. If they are still young enough to move, they will probably need at least 3 more years to mature into blooming.
FWIW it is probably just as well it didn’t come to my door: all russets have failed to make edible fruit in the low oven temperatures summer has become lately. someday I need to go to New York & try cider made with Médaille d’Or!

1 Like

As many of the readers of this topic are interested in red fleshed apples, I want to let you know that Surprise #1 from Bussey’s book was re-discovered a few years ago near the town of Dayton, WA. The source of the apple tree was found was likely the Ritz Nursery in Walla Wall, just 32 miles away. . Here is what the 1879 Ritz catalog wrote, describing the apple as a “novelty.” Here is what the 1879 Ritz catalog wrote, describing the apple as a “novelty.” The Lost apple Project still has some scion wood to share if you are interested. Scions are $6 each with $10 shipping. Please email me at dbens23@gmail.com and follow The Lost Apple Project facebook page as we’ll be announcing more rediscovered varieties later this spring.

13 Likes

Ermahgerd. Buzz found another one… dubbed “High Lake”

I have reserved scion. Apparently, it’s not tart. A fresh eating apple.

8 Likes

Just a matter of time.
Good ones are coming.
(And a lot of hype and bad ones too, I am sure.)

3 Likes

Oh definitely lol. Of that I am sure too.

I’m convinced that there has to be more good selections from the wild though. Like in the case of New England, between the start of Johnny Appleseed chucking germplasm around like it he was a Coho salmon in spawn season, apple cores tossed out car windows, and wildlife getting fat off wild apples [and orchards], there has be still be a significant number of crosses out in the wild made with red-fleshed apple genetics.

From that pool, there have to be a fair number that would be considered good eating. Of those thousands of thousands of acres where there are plenty of wild apples, I think modern fruit explorers have probably barely scratched the surface of cultivars mother nature has churned out.

Skillcut and others are doing this in a very controlled manner, but I have to think that mother nature has done it too on a much bigger scale for much longer, the problem is a logistical one - we need to find the dang things in the wild.

3 Likes

Winter Red Flesh

7 Likes

So pretty.

1 Like

Thanks! It is really pretty! :heart_eyes: