Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

Any photos or tasting notes of your Baker’s Delicious? How early did they ripen for you? Did they have any trouble with disease or ill affects from our hotter-than-UK summer?

Thank you. I had a friend whos dad grew hidden rose in north central PA but I had no idea if it would be worth trying in my area.

How have you used Winekist? I’ve had only two sample fruits from it so far; am thinking it could make the most amazing Tarte Tatin despite being smaller fruits. Maybe sauce?

2 Likes

I only had two samples as well, raw. And I think I would like them most that way, as I love tart fruit. Makes it hard to take good cultivar recommendations when very few find them palatable. That being said, Winekist is a goldmine to me because it’s splendid in every form. Only wish it were bigger.

I have an Almata planted too, ripens at the same time I am told, but haven’t tried it yet. I would like to know how it compares to Winekist - I probably don’t need both :confused:

2 Likes

I helped a buddy strip his tree, which I suspect is Scugog crab. Pink fleshed, 12 Brix and made hot pink applesauce of excellent quality. Just made an applesauce cake with it - winner! Almata and Winekist? You probably need both.

6 Likes

Yes to needing both Winekist and Almata ! Two of the best tasting red fleshed varieties we grow. Yes Winekist is a smaller variety but worth the space to grow. Almata has been such a hit for us that I grafted more trees of it last year.

3 Likes

If I can’t live without Winekist and Almata (and Red Devil), can I live without Geneva? Lol

1 Like

@SkillCult just uploaded a new video on his YouTube channel reviewing some of Etters red fleshed apples including grenadine and rubaiyat. Good video

5 Likes

Hey Janet,
If you are short of space then I would say make it:
Red Devil
Almata
Winekist and Geneva are tied (grin)

ha ha ha just kidding, seriously all four of these taste great. Winekist is the smaller of them if that need ds to factor in for you.

Derek you are SO patient with me I swear lol :joy: You’re just the only one I know of who has the same taste in apples as me, that I know of. I am probabbbbbbly going to have to have a Geneva. I’ll email you. The size of Winekist would only be a problem if it wasn’t so awesome :slight_smile:

I suppose the deciding factor may be ripening times. If Almata and Winekist are the same time, is Geneva later? When does Red Devil ripen in relation to these other three?

I’m also not sure if I asked you on whether Hidden Rose is worth having if I already have Pink Pearl. I know Hidden Rose is a bit later.

1 Like

Hey Derek,

Are you sure Hidden Rose and Airlie’s Red Flesh are the same apple? I was looking at pictures from the Salt Spring Apple festival and they have these as two separate varieties that ripen at different times in oregon. Pictures attached. Yours ripens when, based on these photos? One picture says late August one says late October.

1 Like

Yes, they are all the same variety. Hidden Rose, and Mountain Rose are just trademarked names for Airlie Red Flesh.

3 Likes

ARF is an excellent apple in central Ia. this year. We really enjoyed it, crispy, sweet, good texture but not real pretty.

3 Likes

Airlie Red Flesh ripens here in SE Ohio starting mid September through late September

1 Like

Derek,

1. how did the cider turn out?
  2. are the russet/red crosses going to be available as scionwood this year?
  3. how are they both for fresh eating and for cooking? Got one or 2 that are clear standouts?
1 Like

Late to this discussion. Last year I obtained scion of Airlie Red Flesh at the Home Orchard society. I cut the scion in half, and grafted it to two different trees. They grew very well, and this year bloomed and set fruit. I removed all but 5 apples. They turned out very nice. One of the few varieties that I have had fruit in their 2nd leaf after grafting, although Goldrush also did that. I’m no taste testing expert but I thought they were delightful, sprightly. sweet but not over-sweet. One of my smaller size apples, similar in size to Jonathan. This apple is now one of my favorites.

6 Likes

Glad to hear that, Bear. I’ve only had a few red fleshed apples, but I think your description of flavor is spot on. Really pleasant, complex apples with a good combo of berry notes and acidic kick. There’s a camp of people who still want to dismiss these as novelties, but I think they have a lot of wonderful qualities that will only continue to advance with further breeding.

5 Likes

@SMC_zone6, I think your observation of berry notes is accurate. Better than my description. I really liked those apples. It’s a little challenging to see when they ripen, because the skin remains greenish, but with a slight yellow tint. I hoped the red pigment would slow browning of the cut apple, but I dont think it makes much difference there.

People are really interested when I cut the apple and they see the red / pink interior. But they are also quite delicious and from my first year experience, they look quite productive.

I tried grafting Firecracker, but it didn’t take. Maybe next year if they have the scion again. Three years ago I grafted Redfield, from Fedco, and it took but was such poor vigor, I removed it.

2 Likes

Yep to the same variety. And look at the description of the variety in both pictures saying it is a “recent discovery”. I have grown it since the 1980’s and it was found growing wild by a guy named Bill Schultz (or Shultz) years before that. Hidden Rose and Mountain Rose are just marketing names. It happens a lot to red fleshed varieties it seems.

1 Like