Extending the blackberry season

@k8tpayaso
I don’t take it bad I knew the risks and there are always risks.

1 Like

The 10 survivors will fill whatever space you allow them in the span of a few years.

That is if the japanese wineberries don’t exert dominance over every square inch of the tract first. Their rhizomes spread through clay soil like a hot knife through butter.

5806B4F4-4105-4D24-A575-557CECE6BDF7

2 Likes

I lost 90% of the wineberries also Matt! Kansas weather is not always kind! Let’s hope the survivors adapt.

Once the wineberries are established, resistance will be futile.

2 Likes

my PAFs are like that. they send sprouts everywhere! glad they’re in a raised bed or it would be worse!

3 Likes

Prime ark 45’s are both big and early!

7 Likes

They will grow like weeds!

2 Likes

Chester is ripening. I think I can start the greenhouse a month later next year. The berries will still ripen early enough and we can save a little on the wood we have to burn.

4 Likes

good job! gave up on my PAF and nuked them with round up. on a positive note my 4 babycakes dwarf blackberries have put on good growth and i have blossoms! going to get to finally try them this year! also put in a patch of wild / smooth canadian blackberries i found in a field aways from here last year. all 7 have grown about a ft. so far and doing well. the berries aren’t very big, about the size of a medium raspberry but they taste very good and supposedly cold hardy to the arctic circle according to PLANTS database. funny thing is all my 47 yrs. in the woods and this is the 1st time I’ve come across these blackberries. there must be some in your area. keep a eye out. would be easier that trying to raise blackberries in a greenhouse.

1 Like

Freedom and the 45’s look good in a hurry! We had a bad drought this year that we are coming out of.Some of the berries are looking fantastic.

1 Like

Test crops are still doing fine which is saying a lot after last years drought. Not much could survive that drought!

1 Like

The photo above was 25 days ago when these were mostly small berries and blooms. These test crops of Prime ark 45 turned out very good! Freedom planted at the same time did not produce berries. Primeark 45 had some large berries even on these smaller plants. The berries started ripening in Late June (ate a few) and are still producing today on July 4th! They may produce up until the time of my main blackberry harvest on July 20th. These are all good signs but we will see what fall brings! These are Very very promising black berries! Flavor and disease resistance have been very good. These look like they will fit my needs extending the blackberry harvest.

5 Likes

my 5 nelsons i planted as plugs from fedco are now 2ft tall and starting to send out suckers. supposed to be one of the few z3 hardy blackberry available in the US. my canadian blackberries have sent out new primocanes enmasse but no flowers yet on florocanes. dewberries have so far about 20 flowers and also my baby cakes dwarf blackberries so i should be eating at least some fresh blackberries in late summer. :wink:

2 Likes

@moose71
Fresh blackberries can’t be beat for flavor and it sure sounds like it will only get better for you from here!

2 Likes

its been a dream of mine to grow them for a long time. there are finally cultivars offered that can tolerate our winters. probably not as good as warmer zone varieties but ill take what i can get.

1 Like

How big are the 45’s and how is the flavor? How are the thorns? Are these primocane berries?

My PA Traveler primocanes are starting to bloom, and Freedom primocanes are setting buds. Ouachita is ripening some berries now.

3 Likes

The berries i had yesterday were about an inch long and plants not overly thorny. Flavor is good and fruit is firm. Plenty of ripe, red, and green berries to extend the season. No new blooms yet. The berries on this other plant were thumbnail sized but slightly fatter and not as long as the ones from yesterday. I think the primeark 45 like it here in Kansas! This plant needs a good weeding , cow manure, and woodchips. Next year this plant may be sending out runners! These primeark45 are not ready to compete with the main crop just yet that ripens in July shown here Blackberries by the gallons. Certainly the 45s are everything my heirloom blackberries are not in terms of ripening times which is exactly what we need!

2 Likes

Prime ark 45 test crops are still producing.

5 Likes

I just cut back my Ouachita. They are getting their second crop this year right now

4 Likes

Primeark45 blooming again! looking forward to fall berries!

4 Likes