Extra space in my yard, what would you do?

When Irma passed through last year we lost quite a few trees, I think 8 in total. We also had a several more cut down this past week that were a little too close to the house. Anyway, the result was that it opened up a huge area for me to do something withā€¦Our house backs up to a creek. The lower you go the wetter the soil is, but the upper portion where you see the banana and the stumps is well drained and remains fairly dry unless we get really torrential rains and the creek comes up, which doesnā€™t happen all that often.

As bad as it was losing the trees, I did get a lot of firewood and I feel like I have a blank canvas. Obviously, there are roots all over the place, but I was thinking about bringing in some dirt and leveling the area off a bit. Still keeping the slope, but making it plantable, possibly for some more fruit treesā€¦Fence is getting replaced. There will 4ft picket and a gate where you see the posts. So what would you do with this space? Thoughts, suggestions?

I like the expression ā€œgod willing, and the creek donā€™t riseā€, never really thought about it actually happening :fearful:

1 Like

Blueberries, they like to be near the water, sometimes even IN water. :grinning:

@galinas, great suggestion, Iā€™ve got a bunch of other blueberry bushes, but this could become a real blueberry patch. Would be able to plant out a bunch of native blueberriesā€¦

2 Likes

4 months laterā€¦the banana trees just popped right back upā€¦

itā€™s a bit of a blessing and curseā€¦now I have more yard that needs regular cutting so it doesnā€™t get overgrownā€¦amazing how quickly nature can reclaim somethingā€¦

3 Likes

This is the same banana tree as in the pic from aboveā€¦itā€™s incredible the amount of growth itā€™s put on in less than 3 monthsā€¦to top it off, itā€™s started floweringā€¦not sure what variety it is, I think itā€™s a dwarf of some sortā€¦used to be part of our yard landscape before I removed itā€¦the tree had gotten pretty large and would flower every year, but the bananas never ripened before they got killed by a freezeā€¦We probably have another month and a half of mild temps so Iā€™ll be curious to see what it does this yearā€¦stay tuned.

1 Like

My company has been on mandatory work from the last 3 weeks and like a lot of people weā€™ve been spending most of our time at home save necessary trips to the grocery. In addition to having job flexibility, Iā€™m also fortunate to have a great outdoor space. Couldnā€™t imagine riding out the next month or more in an apartment or tiny house with no yard, Iā€™d go stir crazy. I feel for the folks that have to endure that.

With some extra time on my hands, I decided to do some clean up in creek behind our house.Itā€™s technically a tributary that runs out to the St. Johns and itā€™s fed by freshwater, but itā€™s pretty shallow (less that a foot in spots and it gets swampy where the dead vegetation has accumulated over the yearsā€¦Whatā€™s particularly nice is itā€™s super-shady so even in the hottest part of the day its relatively cool back thereā€¦I got the girls some boots and we went to work cleaning out as much muck and debris as we could, even started finding freshwater mussels and friendly raccoonā€¦

Here are some pictures of what it looks likeā€¦Probably should have take a before, there was lots of duck weed and other vegetation clogging it upā€¦Itā€™s pretty clear nowā€¦Iā€™m spreading the stuff weā€™ve raked out on the groundā€¦I figure the decaying vegetation should be good fertilizerā€¦If nothing, it will help fill in some of the low spotsā€¦

Whatā€™s really interesting is some of the stuff weā€™re pulling up out of the muck/water, including old pottery, medicine bottles from the early 1900ā€™s and other random trashā€¦ There was a lot of pine in this area at one time.The wood sitting on top in this pic is pitch pine/fat lighterā€¦youā€™ll find it sometimes in forest where a pine has fallen and the sap concentrates in part of the logā€¦with this, the tree fell in the water and the lack of oxygen essentially preserved itā€¦these pieces are really heavy for their size. Itā€™s great for starting fires, not that weā€™ll need it for that any time soonā€¦

4 Likes

Figured I would post an update. Itā€™s been a couple of years in the making, but Iā€™ve finally reclaimed a good portion of our property that was previously pretty much unusableā€¦

Beforeā€¦

Afterā€¦

I added a fire pit, an outdoor cooking area and some fruit treesā€¦now weā€™ve got some extra usable space.

6 Likes