F——- deer

They ate PUMPKIN PLANTS? I’ve never seen that before. They also don’t eat my neighbors pumpkins… I guess I assumed the spiky foliage would keep them from doing any more than a couple of nibbles.

Could someone refresh my memory as to why I can’t just shoot every damn one of them?

5 Likes

The deer are severely overpopulated. Our department of natural resources recommends a density of no more than 15 per square mile. We have probably 15 times that concentration.

3 Likes

I couldn’t grow pumpkins or squash in an unprotected setting at my old place. Deer densities there were around 35 per square mile. I can grow both here unprotected. Deer density here right around 25-30.

Deer are funny critters. In some places they’ll eat stuff that they won’t touch in other areas.

4 Likes

very true. if they get hungry enough they will even strip bark off fruit trees! got to admit hearing about pumpkin eaten is a 1st. for me. invite some archery hunters to come in and thin some for you or get one and do it yourself. :wink: i hunted a friends farm down in easton, MD you guys sure have a problem with them esp. in the burbs.

3 Likes

Can’t see how they could be hungry. They eat every g—-d—- thing in the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Once a doe teaches her female offspring that something is good to eat, that item will remain on the menu for as long as any of those deer or their relatives are around.

You could try using milorganite to discourage browsing. Of course you or the neighbors may find the smell a bit troublesome.

3 Likes

Crossbow…full moon…camo…

6 Likes

Here’s the a—-holes right now.

4 Likes

I wonder if a high powered paintball gun would teach them some respect for your property

4 Likes

they sell some flash bang rounds for a 12ga. shotgun that would scare the heck out of them. used to scare birds from flightlines. :wink:

3 Likes

They eat the pears as high as they can reach.

Technically the pears are not on my property, unfortunately. They belong to the guy whose house is in the woods up on the hill behind me, who I swear is about 153 years old and never leaves his house.

One is a Seckel and gets decent fruit despite neglect, one of the others look like Comice if I had to guess.

4 Likes

We all know the answer to deer problems , just look in the mirror. Nowadays you have to gang up on your politicians to get anything accomplished , they are the F… holes.

4 Likes

The big problem around here is most of the suburbanites who are absolutely clueless about gardening and landscaping are all like “oh, look at the cute little deer!”

3 Likes

I am a rural hick and I still say “oh, look at the cute deer”:sunglasses:
As I type this I can look out my window and see a doe eating in a 1/3 acre foodplot planted to clover and alfalfa. I put that foodplot there just to feed deer and so we can watch them from the house.

That said, I am also a deer hunter. The deer problem in suburbia is due to PETA and other such organizations. Deer are wonderful animals, but their numbers need to be kept in check. The only way to do that efficiently is by hunting. Period

8 Likes

Open deer season, from weeks to more months and don’t send poachers to jail or fined them. If you are able to control the deer populations, they would not show up in your open garden or around the cities, case close.
We have a pantry in town that is always loaded with poor and old people that would happy with a decent meal, even if it is deer meat.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you how strongly I disagree with this statement

1 Like

Oh well, i live in a part of Arkansas, that has a lot of poor people. In town we have a pantry that some of you should visit.Here is a part of land what i have to deal with.
My yard is 200 x 100 for my priced tree’s and plants, it is fenced but sometime i find one in there.

This morning something strange happens, there was one that was about 100 feet away, i watch it for a minute while i was busy in my garden, when i look again she was just on the other side of the fence looking at me,20 feet away.
I know for a fact, that most of them here in my area are not healthy. Arkansas used to send deer to other states, now they don’t want them.Poachers in my area don’t slow the herd at all, every year there are more.

6 Likes

Bob,

A couple of my patients brought me a few pounds of deer jerky and sausage last year. They tasted very good. You should harvest some deers and take them to a meat locker. They will do it for you.

3 Likes

We have removed their natural predators so we have no choice but to control the population. Here they now have CWD , I don’t know if I will continue to hunt them because of it. I won’t let them eat my trees though,

4 Likes

Tony, that’s too much work for a couple old geasors. In my area we have poachers every fall, nobody bother them. they pick them of left and right and staying on the main road.
They do things quickly. Besides i would rather eat fish. An hour later, they are in the pan.

3 Likes