Favorite 2022 Photos!

After the recent cold snap that we had and the fact that we are just a day away from the new (Roman calendar) year, I thought it would be fun to share some favorite 2022 photos from our orchards or gardens. I hope others will join me. :slight_smile:

25 Likes

After many years and many attempts from different trees I finally got my first cherry (Carmine Jewel) this summer.

18 Likes

Sorrel?

2 Likes

I have too many to post!

2 Likes

Borage officinalis

2 Likes

Here are a few of mine in reverse chronological order.

A few nights ago.

On a morning of hoarfrost. Our ducks didn’t care.

Identifying some 19th century varieties for a friend who was going to add them to her own for display at a fair. Not a good year for it.

Big apples for a small tree.

Our first Halberstadter Jungfern apple.

New life!

16 Likes

It’s: Symphytum Uplandicum

2 Likes

YAY! :wink: haha.

2 Likes

The species name (second word) in taxon binomials should not be capitalized. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, this plant is actually a hybrid:
Symphytum ×uplandicum : Symphytum asperum × S. officinale

Dax - It is in the Borage family.

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomydetail?id=70770

4 Likes

Yes, I know that, I copied and pasted from another site. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyway, great photos!

3 Likes

Shiitake

Processing: 606DC748-6E6D-431F-8CC4-B3B64B45F175.jpeg…
Uploading: 33DCBF87-D96A-4876-AFB7-35B9529B5A23.jpeg…
Uploading: E8706431-A2F4-4EC6-AF64-E6FBC3439D68.jpeg…

I might not be successfully attaching photos…

Common name: “bocking 14” Comfrey, which is in the Borage family as I understand it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

daylilies (from seed is cheap!) work good as underplantings. just a sayin

2 Likes

I just know there are oak people everywhere. This is Quercus x sternbergii (Q. buckley x Q. shumardii). It occurs in a small band in TX where the two converge. It was not until recently not-considered a new species. It’s named after an author and friend, Guy Sternberg of Petersburg IL where he has an enormous oak arboretum (and other trees) and where ongoing oak-research, occurs. He has the most oak species at one location than anywhere else in the world. Now the big deal conversation about this one as, I walked past it on Dec. 4th for the first time to look at its’ fall color to my surprise I came upon a tree that turns purple with red-veining in its’ leaves. I was shocked needless to say. Guy Sternberg and about 100 other arborists/arboretum ‘personnel’ & other authors etc- about dropped their pants I think. Guy definitely did. He stated, ‘this is something very special’.
(hickory nut for camera to focus better on oak)

Quercus x sternbergii (seed grown from natural range, TX.)

10 Likes

@AaronN
I believe you pressed “Reply” before the photos had finished uploading. If the connection is slow then sometimes the upload stalls indefinitely.

2 Likes

I’m just sooo excited about my shiitake!!!

4 Likes

I’m excited about my Itoh peonies, they look amazing healthy this year.

8 Likes

I hope you will be able to reload the photos! I inoculated some wood chips with Shiitake this past year… hoping that I get some next year. :slight_smile:

That’s a beautiful color! I have several peonies, but none that I would consider that pretty. :slight_smile:

@Barkslip What a beautiful leaf color. Are you growing seedlings from that tree?

1 Like