Favorite Blackberry?

Its alot of work i can tell u that much… but its my hobby so i love it.

Im not sure if there is a Raspberry thread like this one… i dont talk about them much because honestly they arent my favorite… but i have grown just about every variety of them as well…

Reds- i think i have grown every one… even the obscure ones like Josephine and the older ones that were hyped years ago. I am much narrowed down now on them because i just destroy or plant the ones i dont like for the birds. Not liking them means that they are prone to disease or seem weak…or just taste bland to me. Likely my climate has alot to do with it. Anyways I am keeping Joan J, Cascade Delight, Caroline and i have one that i am really liking that doesnt have a name to me. It was found in Vermont at a mansion in a rose garden. Its bulletproof as far as growing… healthy as it can be and just wants to live… the berries are pretty good too. All of these to me have flavor and grow well and have no signs of a struggle. Edit- i just added Bababerry… i forgot about that one… i plan on keeping it.

Yellows- I dont like Double Gold or Anne… too bland and lack of taste for me. I just put in Honey Queen and Cascade Gold… as far as i know i will probably like them. I keep a Fall Gold or two…always nice to eat berries late if the SWD dont get em. I cant get Kiwi Gold…but i have heard that its soft and kinda mushy…so i dont really want it.

Purples- Amethyst seems to be the king… will post pics of that soon. Wyoming- im keeping it because it was such a PITA to get. Glencoe…seems wimpy to me but maybe it will get better with age. Brandywine- I dont like it. Royalty- beautiful plant but boring berries.

Hybrids- they are my favorite. I will have pics of Phenomenal soon… im not sure anyone has ever grown them on the East Coast but me… they are all but extinct. I think i have every hybrid that exists except for Youngberry… that one is gone as far as i can tell… thats ok though it seems inferior to the others.

Looking for- Tummelberry… i cant watch this video again it pains me so. :cry:

3 Likes

I have had Columbia Star for several years. This year, for the first time, the floricanes are growing a few extremely long (up to 4 feet and growing) fruiting spurs at mid-cane nodes; no hint of a terminal blossom cluster forming. They are behaving like a lateral of a pruned primocane. So I’m just breaking them off at the main cane. The bulk of the canes are behaving normally.

1 Like

i want one! :wink:

Some nurseries in Uk like rw walpole sell them but since the brexit they suspended international deliveries.

2 Likes

This is one loganberry plant. Guy recently posted a video and it has well over 1001 berries. Pretty amazing

3 Likes

Theres a part of me that wants to let him know that when he uses other peoples pics to sell his berries that he should try to pay attention a little better.

Ad reads: Sweetie Pie Thornless Blackberry

Pic…he even took the time to label the pic and put his watermark on it and never made the connection that hes trying to sell a thornless blackberry.

4 Likes

If u are like me and have read all of the rules against propagating blackberries and all that… here is a University that tells you how to…

Note she says its ‘seedless’… gotta love academics.

It has only 500 views so not many folks learned from this video.

1 Like

my columbia star had a few get to 2 1/2 feet before putting out flowers. I have a columbia sunrise that’s a little shaded that seems like it’s doing the long lateral thing in the shady parts, but fruiting in the sun… could it be like that?

My Columbia Stars are quite sun-exposed. This variety has fairly long spurs, but they should have flower buds while in the one- to two-foot range.

@steveb4

My 4 logan pcanes have reached the top and are making a right turn now… they have 12 ft to run in that direction.

2 Likes

Nice training !

Did you get sometimes thorny pcanes shoots ?

Any suggestions for best places to buy bare root canefruit?

I got a bunch from Starkbros but it was a bit of a crapshoot. 4 of 5 varieties leafed out, but Allen rasp never did and disappointingly the replacements appear just as dessicated, brittle and lifeless as original plants they sent.

@sub … not on this thornless logan i got from one green world. No thorns at all… i have tip rooted it a few times and those propigations are absolutely thornless too.

1 Like

Yes. But they sell out quickly in the spring.
Simmons Plant Farm… the nicest bare root plants you will buy. This is owned by Gary Pense Sr. not Phillip Pense of Pense Berry Farm.

For bare root Allen - Kriegers Nursery has very nice bare roots but you have to order them at the right time. Dont buy Logan from them…they are blackberries. Other than that they are good. They will use weird names like #1 tip… that just means that they are tip rooted but are 2yr old plants…

I am 1 for 12 on the Stark Allens living… they sent me ones that had been dried in a freezer for a year i think. All of my Krieger’s lived.

1 Like

the one you sent me is about 6in. seeing how cold its been im suprised it grew that much.

1 Like

i like Indiana berry. they let you buy 1 so you can trial different ones and if your cheap like me, 1 gets me 10 by next spring. :wink:

1 Like

@krismoriah and @steveb4 , thanks , I will bookmark those for next year. I am frugal as well.

1 Like

he asked for bare root so i gave recommendations based on that.

All of the companies like Indiana Berry, Nourse, Pense Berry, Stark, Gurneys etc etc etc that sell plugs all buy from one of two or three tissue culture labs and pay $2 or less per plug. They just sit on them and resell them.

The boutique nurseries like OGW, Raintree, Burnt Ridge, etc pot those plugs from above up in a 4 inch pot and sit on them for a few months or a year then sell them for a premium price.

There are a few nurseries that propagate by tip rooting themselves like Kriegers and Isons used to…not sure anymore about them.

There are a few nurseries that plant out the above $2 plugs in their fields and grow them out and dig them up and sell them as bare root.

There are also a few companies that double dip on the bare root and trim the roots and sell them also…which is maximum profit on a plant.

Berries Unlimited does a mix of all the above, but mostly pots up plugs in one gallon pots and grow them out for a year and maximize profit.

There are alot more nurseries but that is the jist of things… almost everything that is sold is started from a propagation house as a tissue culture plug… then sold as a different age of plant in various methods.

2 Likes

My Poncas came from Simmons. They were some of the best bare root cane fruit I’ve ever received. Do you know where they source them and how they propagate?

1 Like

I do. They order direct from a tissue culture lab and 10s of thousands of plants come in on pallets.

Gary plants them out in large fields of sandy loam.

He then has an implement on his tractor that digs them up as he drives over them.

Plants are spaced the width of the implement and pretty dense… the implement shakes off the dirt like a screen.

Gary knows what he is doing… he sold berries commercially and they trucked them over half the US… back when they planted by hand and picked by hand and packaged by hand then delivered them by truck.

3 Likes