Fenceless stonefruit orchard

I’m looking to try to make a fenceless stonefruit orchard, similar to my apple and pear orchard. I put chicken wire around the tree trunk, and let it branch at 6 feet. I’m in zone 4a. My thought was to bench graft in spring, plant in the fenced nursery the first year. Then plant in the orchard with the graft below the ground to allow self rooting. Planning on trying apricots, cherries, and plums (the ones that might survive the cold) and crossing my fingers. Any rootstock reccomendations? (advice in general would be appreciated, never worked with stonefruit)

2 Likes

I’m not much of a stonefruit person but I think this might be useful to you:

1 Like

4 a for stone fruit, your choices will be limited.

Mark, You also have one of the most beautiful multi-grafted plum trees I have ever seen!!!

1 Like

I have had no success with tree cherries, but the Saskatchewan bush cherries finally gave us a good crop after resorting to fungicides, insecticides, and bird netting. Waneta, Mt. Royal, Alderman, black ice plums have given light crops. Superior have died both times I planted them, hardly anything on LaCrescent or Pipestone plums after several years. They might be hard to get above deer height. I have wire cages around each tree, plus three strands of electric fence around the whole area. This year I also ate my first Tokas planted in a different location. They have a kind of flowery flavor. I tried some grafting, but only one variety took, a Yakima I think it was. I planted some wild plums in hopes of better pollination, but they are struggling and haven’t blossomed yet after several years. I keep trying with apricots, but no fruit yet after many years. Best wishes in your venture, but don’t get your expectations too high. With stone fruit in zone 4a any harvest is a blessing. I use a “Twister” to pick the ones out of reach. Works great!

Thanks. I’m not planning on big yields, mostly just want to see what I can grow. We got wild cherries and plums in the area, was thinking of tring to take cuttings for rootstock. Fruit on those cherries doesn’t make it past the birds.

You’re too kind, Mrs. G. Really. But I’m still working on it! Tried to stick a couple of apricot buds on my plum, also on a nanking cherry. Other than that I’m dependent on the kindness of friends and neighbors for cots.

I hope you’re loving it where you are. Your patio orchard is a delight!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m adding two trees (of course!). Holy Cow, small but mighty! Slow and steady and smaller for me is better. thanks so much! No pie, tarts, or crumbles to share?

1 Like

No, and I need to get on it. Been spending too much time on other stuff - and I have son/2 grands coming next month and I want to have some goodies on hand when they get here. Did make a few batches of apricot preserves and one of raspberry, and have started picking early apples and pears. May have to can some pears if we can’t eat them fast enough!

1 Like

More trees, more fruit! With our enthusiasm we lose sight of the quantity our trees can produce. Good for you for the sons and grands visiting!

2 Likes