Ferments 2019

They seem to have fermented the whole way through, but I don’t think it would hurt anything to chop them. I left them whole for convenience. I always store my ferments in jars in the fridge after I have them “where I want them.” They stay pretty stable that way and can last close to a year (depending on the ferment) without any real loss in quality. The ferment is still alive, though, and flavor continues to evolve. I did not peel them at any point, but I did slice them for serving.

1 Like

@drusket Let me know your results if you try it. This is my first time on Jerusalem artichokes, so I’m curious to see how it turns out for others.

1 Like

Will do, thanks for your answers. I tried to ferment some last year but oversalted to the point where they didn’t seem to ferment and were totally inedible. I was put off by the amount of effort to peel them so your convenient method seems like a better choice to try in a few months here after it cools off. Thanks again.

Looks delish!

no pics but did a bunch (like 4 heads of cabbage, it is a bunch when only I eat it) of sauerkraut last fall…tonight as it gets colder and flirts with snow I have one meaty, skin-covered pork hocks and a couple kielbasa buried in a big jar of kraut, slowly cooking in a crock pot. ya gotta actually EAT those ferments, too, and I am looking forward to doing that.

as a side note, also toying with taking a few tbs of kimchi juice from an earlier ferment, and using THAT to ferment a batch of small salami of some sort…….

1 Like

Did you ever ferment some salami? I made about 10 lbs late this winter for the first time. Sadly it was a failure.

I have done a couple dried sausages which were very thin to cheat, as I am always worried about case hardening. an actual ferment is on my list…