Fig tree container you can take apart?

I’ve been throwing out nearly all my container plants as they have just been too difficult to maintain with our water situation here. But…I can’t find a place for my Violette de Bordeaux fig in the ground :frowning:

The best site is against the south-facing side of the house where there is only a narrow planting strip with no real soil depth, between a sidewalk and the foundation. I’ve got the fig in a plastic pot right now (18 gal) but I’d like something sturdier and perhaps larger–maybe on wheels? Ideally it would be something you could remove the sides of every year or so in order to root prune. The container would have to be wider than it is deep as I would need to be able to get around it to work on the espaliers on the other side of the sidewalk.

Before I attempt to reinvent the wheel, has anyone seen anything like this? Or have any suggestions?

If you have the tools and skills, I’d suggest making your own with something like drop down sides and casters. Then you could size it to your specific needs.

1 Like

I will catch all the pots as many as you throw out😉

I’ve got a few 25 gallon pots that a nice and squat. But they are heavy as an elephant. I have to drag them around the yard…hoping to get a dolly this summer!

I got them used from a nursery, fyi.

1 Like

A heavy grow bag root prunes automatically. I have fig trees in them and pop them out of the ground every year with a heavy all-metal spade which automatically root prunes them. I lean them onto a handcart and, voila, I have wheels. Huge advantage over containers is that you can use real soil and therefore get double the bang for the buck in terms of volume (not weight!).

Plant them the amount your shallow soil allows and pile some mulch as high as you can up the sides and you will be in business.

1 Like

Alan, the heavy grow bags you use, are they the felt fabric kind? Or something different?

The ones I use in my nursery are different than the ones I’m discussing here. Carl Whitcomb developed a bag while working for OklahomaSU that is heavy propylene I believe. Since then there have been several knock offs that are widely available. The company that distributes his original bag is in Oregon. When the university wouldn’t allow Carl to manufacture his original design he came up with another which works better than the original for dry tree farming (no irrigation).

I have some of the original bags around so next time you are here I will show you the difference.

1 Like