Figs, figs, everywhere!

I did not mean to gross folks out with that video, but it shows what SWD maggots appear like. They are a major issue, and If I ever give up figs they would likely be the reason. A few years ago when I first determined what I had, nobody was reporting issues with figs, now I think most folks know what they are. There are some effective pesticides but I am not sure I can keep up with effort keeping it on would involve. I have more focus on early season cultivars to try and avoid the late season surge in SWD populations. What is so frustrating they ruin many of our fruits that in past have been considered lower care low spray like the berries. @fruitnut you threw me off. I didn’t think you were headed in the maggot direction.

That’s one of the reasons that I always slice my figs before I eat
them. I want to see and know what I’m eating.

One unknown fig brought from former Yugoslavia, possibly Croatia in the sixties. I got this plant for 4 years and really happy with it due to it’s productivity.
In my zone 7A breba is ripening from mid July

This is one of the bigger ones, not fully ripe yet but had to leave for a week

Main crop from October. Unfortunately not all the figs are able to ripen due to our short cold summers.
This picture is not mine but taken by the original owner who sold me this fig.

8 Likes

My sister lives in Philly and her friend Giovanni planted 2 figs in her yard that he had brought over from Italy in the 50’s. She will ask him the names of the varieties (she calls them the green one and the red one). They ripen in September there. It would be interesting to see if the names correspond to any of the Italian sounding varieties mentioned here. I’ll see if she’ll take these kinds of pictures to see if anyone can identify it. She says they are delicious.

Awesome looking figs Paul.

Tony

So far my best tasting fig has been unk. Teramo. Probably a Mt. Edna type.
Here are some ripening

It’s only a first year plant. Grew like crazy this year!

VDB has been producing for me for a while now!

Atreano is a huge fig! Starting to ripen now, first year plant.

Teramo is turning out to be a gem, hoping Craven’s Craving does too. It is very similar to Black Maderia. Also from Portugal. A couple figs are just starting to turn, so late season, hope I can get some. For a little plant the dang thing is loaded! Again first leaf.

8 Likes

Those a beautiful plants. My Brown Turkey is three time larger than those and only has 2 figs. If it doesn’t produce well next year it goes to the compost pile.

1 Like

Yesterday my sister stopped by and she asked me about my CH tree. I told her there may be some ripe so she touched one and it fell off. She was excited to taste her first fresh fig. She tore it in half and tasted it. Her expression gave away her displeasure. She said yuck, it tastes like beer! I sampled the other half and it had indeed fermented on the tree. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure I’ll ever talk her into tasting another fig again. Lol

Drew,

I am not the typing or spelling police, but I have noticed you reference Mt Edna a couple times so letting you know it’s Mt. Etna. I am slightly traumatized every time I see the Edna. As the Edna of my youth was mean and cruel woman.

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate it! I have a huge problem with spelling. Slightly dyslexic.
Certain words, I cannot remember the spelling, this is one. I probably will do it again. Sometimes it’s word usage too, it just will not stick, like there, their etc. Your association with Edna, actually helps me remember! The worst is reversing numbers, that is the hardest to deal with.

1 Like

Drew, these are just a pleasure to look at - as is any well tended garden. Are you going to employ any techniques to get these to ripen up sooner? Does thinning fruit or pinching back tips work for figs?

Yes, it seems to work. I usually cut back while dormant. Many do it early spring. Probably too late now. I want to see when they usually ripen. Any that do not ripen in time will be culled out. All pictured though should ripen. It’s 90 today, and again tomorrow. As long as they ripen by October 15th, I should be fine. My Indian Free peach ripens October 3rd. Just in time!
Well I suppose all will have unripe figs. As long as most ripen, or if really good, I would settle for a few! Figs seem just to keep producing till frost.
Many of the plants are first leaf, so actual ripening time may be different once they are mature, and grown here for awhile. I have heard of trees ripening earlier once they have some age.
That Atreano pictured is almost ripe. It’s super soft. First fig that doesn’t seem to change color very much when ripe. I could pick it now. I’m letting it hang as long as possible. It is turning a yellow color compared to other figs on the tree.

1 Like

The thing about pinching is people do it at around the same time figs normally form, and doing so increases the time which figs past the pinch will be able to form. It can help to set figs on runaway growths, I do that in June. “pinch to ripen faster” also involves rubbing out all new buds to limit growth.

A tree with a mature growth habit will set figs sooner and ripen them faster and in a more condensed timeframe than a tree of any age with vigorous growth, a vigorous tree has a larger production potential though if the season is long enough. My oldest and nicest container tree has ripened 90% of its crop in 2 weeks, something like 100 figs.

5 Likes

That is what really rocks about figs.Really great performance in containers. Good post!

1 Like

Can you please tell me the dimensions of this container? (not the gallon size) Do you know how heavy it is? I assume you, like @Drew51, move these about come cold weather. I had a dolly modified so I could move heavy pots if I need to (within reason).
But I prefer to leave them in the ground (zone 7b). I have a Brown Turkey in ground which may die back, may not, but always has come back like gangbusters.
According to my notes taken whilst reading y’all’s posts, my best options look like Chicago Hardy and Violette de Bordeaux for inground here. Yes?
Lastly, what time of year does one purchase these plants, and, any reputable suppliers names would be appreciated.

My Moscatel Branco fig tree and figs. A very prolific variety with delicious figs. The skin is a very important part of the flavour of this fig.

6 Likes

Anne,
If you’d like CH cutting, please e-mail me in Nov. I have quite a few to trim off. That, if you want to root fig cuttings.

Although I failed almost 100% in any other varieties, CH cutting took so well. I rooted them in Feb this year and they are now fruiting. (not in time to ripen, unfortunately)

2 Likes

I have noticed with the white figs that are large, the skin has a distinct taste. Atreano is like that too.
Atreano is not the best fig, but dried a little it was very good.

Thank you so much. Sounds like fun.
Is your CH in the ground or pot? Do you have any expectation that it will last in ground through your winter? Not sure how ‘hardy’ a fig can be.

Micro climates matter, strains matter too. You probably are going to have to try to find out what works for you. Just about all of them will come back if froze to the ground. The real question is will they fruit in time?
I’m experimenting here, and will report any results. If they can grow and fruit here in zone 5b/6a, you should be good. I have a Chicago Hardy in ground now. I’ll report this time next year.
This winter I’m going to root new plants to try in the ground next year too. I may grow them a year in containers first. Try to give them a head start.

2 Likes