Figs in Pots Z6b WV Lots of Fun!

We grow figs in pots, its a crazy way to farm! We have to keep them protected from the cold in winter and we take them outside on nice days and rush them back inside if a frost is even potentially threatened. Everyone on our little homestead loves figs, my wife helps me pick them and dehydrate any extras. My dog has learned to pick them for himself, though he only gets the low ones, if its not quite ripe yet he licks it really good and makes sure I see him do it so he marks it as his! its a lot of work, I fortunately have a subcompact tractor with a fork on front to move them around on pallets to the figgery. We have a simple setup, black weedguard on the ground, T-posts with mono line trellis to keep them from blowing over and irrigation on timers. The hardest part of fig growing is the culling of a variety that just doesnt perform well, it might give a great tasting fig unless it gets foggy out and all the rest of them split like crazy. Even with all the works its still a lot of fun eating a perfect sun ripened fig right off of your own tree, just like any other fruit. Jack in WV

7 Likes

I agree! Despite sometimes a bit of effort, (honestly compared to growing Prunus here - not too much!), figs are one of my favorite crops to grow. What varieties in particular have worked well for you in your neck of the woods?

1 Like

What part of WV?

1 Like

You reminded me…got to bring my figs inside tonight or Saturday.

1 Like

6b PA here. I agree that figs are very rewarding even in pots. They were my first tree fruit I grew. It sounds like you’ve got quite the operation there! I’m sure everyone on here would love to see pictures once the growing season is in full swing. I’ve been transplanting my earlier ripening ones into the ground the past few years, because I get lazy shuffling so many around.

2 Likes

Mine too! I was around apples and some peaches and pears growing up, but figs were actually the first tree fruit I really tried growing myself. Turns out they’re a gateway drug! :smiley: I’ll always love figs, though, and will grow them as long as I’m able.

Like Andrew, I’m leaning a little more toward in-ground culture in my corner of 6b. I would like to keep a few good ones in pots, though. Need to streamline the in-ground winter protection process some—so I’m going to start training a couple of low cordons this spring. My all-around favorite fig (so far!) is “Malta Black.”

1 Like

SMITH is one of our favorites, VdB, and St Rita are the ones we check first. I culled a lot of lates ones, like Black Madiera!

1 Like

Is VdB in ground or potted for you? I have that rooted, and haven’t decided on all of them yet.

All mine are potted, some HC in ground as ornamentals only.

Eastern Panhandle near Harpers Ferry

1 Like

My peaches are blooming, 21 this weekend, probably not going to make peaches this year. I pulled up our plums, I couldnt keep up with the black knot and I keep bees in that part of our farm so I didnt want to spray a lot. I really hope the late peaches make it.

1 Like

I culled a bunch last winter, and just started just as many as I got rid of this spring!!

Have a ‘Brown Turkey’ in a pot. Strictly a spur of the moment impulse purchase.

It’s done surprisingly well. Makes a good indoor tree during the winter. (Sheds leaves, though.) Production has been haphazard. Got nothing last year, which may be a lack of chill hours. Left it outside all fall until the temps got down to 26 degrees. We’ll see if that helps. It should.

Thrives on the used up aeroponic liquid from the Aerogarden. (‘Maxibloom’). Not surprising since the pot contains little more than a massive rootball.

Same here except for that 2nd part. I’m pretty sure I started many more than I tossed… Collectoritis much? So your HC aren’t ripening? I’d imagine that you should have a long enough season and heat to fruit those in ground.

and by the time any of them get ripe there are much better figs to eat