Fireblight on a neighbor's tree?

This is a huge pear (I think, it never produced) on the neighbor’s property, about 20 feet from my newly planted apple trees. The entire tree had diseased branches like the ones in the picture, plus individual spurs. It only leafed out about four weeks ago.

My trees so far look healthy. Is this fireblight? What can I do to prevent my trees from getting infected?

I doubt the neighbors would be willing to remove the tree, but maybe I could convince them to let me prune the disease branches (the tree is easily 25 ft tall).

3 Likes

Looks fireblighty to me. Good luck with your neighbors - I hope they are cooperative.

9 Likes

If the neighbor doesn’t agree, look up the fireblight regulations in your area. I don’t know where you’re located, but in many regions you have to report fireblight anyway.

1 Like

That big Bradford pear probably gets fireblight almost every year. Its not a problem. Spray your trees with myclobutenil if you’re worried about them. Your neighbors may just laugh if you mention cutting down a big pretty Bradford pear for those reasons. That Bradford will probably outlive your fruiting pear.

1 Like

Is that also true about black knot?

There is an apartment complex at the end of my road which has a Mayday tree (prunus padus) with 4 branches which are more black knot than anything else.

Another neighbor of mine had to replace a similar tree as his was thoroughtly destroyed by black knot and died.

Scott

Myclobutenil is a fungicide. Fireblight is a bacteria. Myclobutenil does not control fireblight.

3 Likes

Scott, up here in the north I am told that the black knot that infects mayday and choke cherry is a different species than the black knot that infects plums and the other cherries. Advice came from Konrad.

I have a flowering pear in my own frontyard and it looks just like this tree. Yes, it is FB. And no, I won’t cut it down. Gives nice shade in the summer!

Thank you, everyone. I wasn’t suggesting taking the tree down, merely cutting the diseased branches. Even that seems like a major task, considering the size of the tree, that I am not willing to undertake or pay for.

From what I’ve found so far, looks like my options are spraying with either streptomycin or probiotics (home-brew vinegar bacteria) during the bloom time. I believe many of my apples are also fireblight resistant. Will monitor closely. Thanks again

1 Like

Good to know. I have only had 1 real strike on my plum, so it likely could have come from just about anywhere…

Thank you

Scott