First test picking of Lane today. Awesome

14 Likes

They are gorgeous! But are they a small cherry, or a blueberry, what?

3 Likes
3 Likes

These are a newer variety of muscadine. Sweet and crunchy but they do have seeds. This year they are about one inch in diameter.

3 Likes

Hey Auburn. Do they bloom at the same time as black beaty, supreme, and sugargate? I have those 3 along with lane hopefully for pollenation.

2 Likes

I just went back and checked my bloom time records. Lane, Black Beauty, and Supreme mostly bloomed at the same time (20190523). I don’t have Sugargate.

2 Likes

How’s the fruit stack up compared to Southern Home?

1 Like

I prefer Lane over Southern Home. Lane is a little bigger and sweeter tasting. Most muscadines are slip skin but Lane tends to be more like a table grape and be crunchy. The peel of Lane breaks somewhat like a grape but it is still a little tougher. The crunchy nature to me is what separates it from many other good muscadines for fresh eating. With that said it would be a stretch to think it is just like a table grape. I’m getting away from the Lane and Southern Home comparison but Black Beauty and Supreme (females) have some similar characteristics as Lane but are rated to have a higher sugar content. These require two vines (female and self fertile) and in many cases we don’t have the additional space needed.

3 Likes