Friend or not

Bugs my garden buddy. Looks like he/she likes me. Rabbits normally take off running when someone comes nearby. This one just hops closer to me. This morning it came over and waited for me to open the gate and then went inside and under the porch.
Pic 001

Pic 002

5 Likes

Friend, foe or food, to each his own.

2 Likes

If he sticks around, plant him a row of spinach!

1 Like

Bill, you made me laugh. I LOVE it!

1 Like

Bill,
Sleep with one eye open and check your tree trunks often. An orchard owner can trust nothing not even a cute rabbit.

1 Like

Rabbits are the one animal I can tolerate these days. After killing so many squirrels and chasing so many deer and repelling so many birds I need a break. They munch on lower shoots but I don’t have many of those any more so they don’t really cause any serious problems for me.

1 Like

My sworn enemy. I had one just about ring my 10 year old apple tree. I trapped at least 13 of them over the winter (and maybe a dozen last summer) and there is still one out there that is trap shy. I went years with not many rabbit related issues, but the past couple have been very bad…i think the population just got out of hand. I know they go through population cycles, so hopefully they will crash now. I smile when i see rabbits flattened on the road :wink:

I was with my brother in law many years ago and we were on a country back road and there was a big rabbit in the road…he speeds up like he’s going to run it over (he thinks he’s Dale Earnhardt Jr) and at the last minute he swerves…well…the bunny moved too…right under the tire of his truck…

1 Like

I have a pair, which means I’ll have twenty by the time its fall. They come into my orchard to eat grass. Two years ago they devastated ten trees. Definitely sleep with one eye open and invite over a friends dog to walk the property once a week. It helps.

4 Likes

These are not my friends but they visit every day. Most my property is fenced-in and the part that is not the tree’s are pruned high enough so they don’t bother.Notice one with a collar band

1 Like

Those are good tasting though. Especially the little ones. I got a couple of backstraps in the freezer from my brother. I made sure they weren’t from some old rutting buck he shot (he claims they are from a doe).

1 Like

Not friends. :stew:

1 Like

I think anything that provides a tasty stew is a friend. Just in a different way.

4 Likes

Bill! Once you give it a name, its tough to get rid of him. He’s now your ‘bunny buddy’!

1 Like

Foe for sure. They are fiendish beasts that will crawl through fencing (the new crop of bunnies can fit through much smaller holes than their parents) and chew through chicken wire to get to their food.

(Well ok that last is only a partial exaggeration - I had considerable damage to rootstocks this winter where bunnies were able to press chicken wire against the trunk and eat small bits of bark off in between the holes in the chicken wire.:rage:)

3 Likes

I prefer Cacciatore Style, over a goat cheese polenta! vvv

1 Like

I’m 100% with @MuddyMess_8a Muddy. In fact, I’m getting hungry just looking at all these photos!

BTW, Is it just me or does that small doe/fawn in the front look like it has a collar on? Surely not, but darn, it sure looks like it!

1 Like

You guys remind me of a fellow who was accused of not liking animals. The guy looked confused and replied that he liked most animals but he especially liked the fried ones.

2 Likes

They will eat the bark right around a fruit tree in the winter. They eat the bark of all the branches that fall in storms or bend over too.

1 Like

My neighbors feed them corn on a daily basis, some evening there might be up to 14 of them.My dog uselessly run them off. I can get to them to about 50 feet before they would move away slowly.

3 Likes

Nice dog. We had three Schnauzers in different decades as I grew up. They are a smart breed of dog.

1 Like