From the garden, 2021

We are eating radishes, strawberries, turnip greens, and onions so far from this year’s garden. Anyone else care to chime in with your harvest?

We have 5 rows of beans, 1 row of potatoes, 2 rows of peas, 2 rows of brassicas (cabbage, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, chinese cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower) plus 1 wide row of carrots, radishes, onions, turnips, celery, beets, leeks, and lettuce. We plan on setting out 4 or 5 rows of tomatoes as soon as the weather cooperates. We will eventually get around to planting watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, squash, gourds, okra, peanuts, and corn. Our rows are 200 to 220 feet long.

1 Like

Butternut squash, collard and kale greens, Green striped cachaw, Spinach just starting, and lemons sweet just ended.

Lotta beans!

uh… my currants/ honeyberries started leafing out. :wink: got plenty of seedlings going in the grow room. need to start a few more flats of beneficial flowers soon. still another month + before i can even consider planting here. keep me going. show some pics.

2 Likes

We’ve been harvesting turnips, snap peas, greens (chard, kale, spinach, Asian greens) in small amount.

I was impressed by Senposai green and Tokyo Cross turnips last year when I grew it for the first time. Senposai is a vigorous grower and very late bolting. Tokyo Cross continued to grow over the winter and bolt fairly late too.

Encouraged by having decent harvest last year, I’m trying new varieties this year. Two that I am very happy with are mizuna Wasabina and Red Kingdom. Both are very bolt resistant, even better than Tokyo Cross turnips. I like to use Wasabina in salads and sandwiches. It gives a kick to both with its mild spiciness.

Here are the pictures. The Wasabina was just picked but at least the picture shows it’s pretty leaves.

Red Kingdom

Wasabina

2 Likes