Fruit Bag Durability

Hi,

I’m always hesitant to start a new thread but I’ve done some decent searching for these fruit bagging questions but didn’t find good answers…

1A. How many seasons do generic Amazon organza bags last?

1B. Any recommendations on better quality ones?

1C. I imagine they don’t have any UV resistance? This company’s bag was the only UV resistant listed bag I could find in a quick online search. Obviously more expensive but if they last longer I’m okay with it. Any experiences on UV resistant bags and durability?

(2) Has anyone done tests on white vs. green bag color effectiveness? Does it really matter?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Bump. Surely someone has tried to use Organza bags for more than one season?

I gave used several different bags. Typically, I’ve left them on from May to Oct.

Organza bags last at least 3 - 4 years. Most of mine are still in fine shape. I washed them at the end of a season before packing them away.
Color fades quickly after a year or two of use (washing them contributed to that, I guess).

If you want to protect against birds, dark colors like dark blue or black is a better choice. Otherwise, I don’t any difference.

The nylon bags are the best re. durability among the bags I use. While these bags are easy to use, the bags cannot be closed as tightly as organza bags due to the material they are made of.

They also come in one large size. Using them on smaller fruit like apricots or plums seem wasteful.

No bags can withstand wildlife.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I’m only really looking for insect control…next year is an off year for apples (only 1 tree producing of 4), so that’s a good time to try it.

I don’t really need to bag any stone fruits fortunately - just 2 spinosad sprays at ripening to stop peach borer and earwig migration to the softer fruit, which isn’t a long-term commitment like codling moth is…

I can’t remember if organza bags can stop coddling moths laying eggs through the bags or not. I have had bagged fruit damaged by plum curculio and Oriental Fruit moths. They just laid eggs through the flimsy material of organza bags.