Fruit bags

I just finished googling my name to see what might come up and found a conversation on another site I’d forgotten about. I was discussing a particular type of reuseable fruit protection bag with the owner of the company that makes them. The recommendation was to cover clusters right before full petal fall and come back at thinning time to thin and put the bags back on so that no other insect protection is needed. Wondering if any of you have tried these bags.

https://sites.google.com/site/joanapplebag/How-do-I-purchase

1 Like

They seem a bit pricey. But would b nice to use to keep the birds off of the fruit.

They look like organza bags, but a little better!

Have you heard of using the technique of bagging even while trees are a bit in bloom and then coming back to do the thinning?

Bagging once is work enough! I would think you could do the same twice-bagging idea with ziplocks or maybe bread bags. Perhaps I will try that idea on a few next spring. I have had especially poor results bagging honeycrisps, yet on my 5-on-1 tree it works great. It seems to be partially a matter of timing and keeping the Surround spray on them until they are bagged. The honeycrisp blossoms later than the other three trees I bag, so the curculios are more active by then. I have bagged as many as 2000 or more applets a year, so would go broke using those fancy ones. My main complaint is that as many as 3/4 of the bagged applets fall. Some of that may be that curculios got in them before bagging. You can’t bag too early, or you can’t tell which apples got pollinated well, but too late and you face curculio damage, even with the Surround. That would be the reason for the double bagging they recommend, I imagine. I have actually reused ziplocks for as many as three years. When bagging, I keep the bags, which are already snipped and punched ahead of time, in an apron for easy access. Another apron pocket I reserve for the applets I thin out. A scissors helps for thinning. There has been some concern about the plastic polluting the apples, which you would not have with other types of bags,

1 Like

North,

I’m with you. Bagging once is more than enough. Timing of the first spray before bagging is very crucial.

Also, I’ve reused my plastic ziplock bags, too. Until someone could show me a link of a study confirming that plastic bags contaminate apples, I will continue to bag. Where I live, the sun is never strong. I’ve never seen any imprint of bags on apples.

Yes, I doubt you could officially call plastic bagged fruit organic and the chemicals bled by bags haven’t even been EPA tested for that purpose. Agricultural chemicals are screened much more thoroughly than the industrial chemicals that surround us in our homes, cars, offices and even the outside world. I question whether even the synthetic estrogen highly present in food container plastics would be permitted if it came from a pesticide in the field.

1 Like

Yes I have used this method on a few pears and apples for the last three years. It works well if the bags are well ventilated. I have only used this method with sandwich bags that have many small holes to let excess moisture out. It is extra work so I only do a limited amount this way.

General info: I found 60pc.s 6x9 white, organza bags for under $5 including shipping. They were on Amazon and took 6 weeks to get but for someone who just wants to try them out, it’s the best deal going as far as I know. Customer complaints were of the nature of: some crumpled, didn’t smell ‘fresh’…in other words, they weren’t considered ‘wedding quality’ by some. Not a problem for me.
I got them late re: fruit formation and only had a few apples on the rescue tree to try them on, so I don’t have a good opinion yet as to their value in bug reduction. Some bugs that were already in couldn’t get out…so there’s that. For about 7¢ per I took a chance. (They’re 8¢ now.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Steve! Looks like a good buy! If I didn’t have to up my game with the bigger varmints getting at my fruit, I would definitely like to invest in some of these!

I bought 50 to test this season. I’ll report back to this thread how they work out. I’m at about 5% petal fall right now, so it’ll be a bit yet until I start bagging everything.

I bought some organza bags for grapes. My recollection is that Scott had a line on a cheap source. Worked well for grapes.

It’s that time of year again. Last year I didn’t have the bags in time to really give them a fair trial. They did seem to have potential. These are functionally 6x8 'cuz there is the drawstring near the top. I got several kinds and I don’t remember if this type ended up being the least expensive …but I think so. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to post this two months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L1K9E6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered Clemson fruit bags for this season after trying some from mamuang last season. Shipping on anything in general has been pretty slow lately. Hopefully I will receive my bags before the fruit gets ruined. Determined to eat home grown fruit this year!

1 Like