Fruit trees, herbs, edibles indoors - Show us

Snow is on the ground signaling the arrival of winter. It depresses me when I think about our long, cold winter. This fall, we’ve brought in several large pots of various hot peppers and placed them at windows that get sun light.

Once inside, some plants have done better than the others. Most peppers have continued to ripen. It was so nice to see colorful peppers in the house while it was snowing outside yesterday,

Just wonder if you would like to share pictures of your indoor fruit trees or edible plants. Those pictures could help cheer us up for the next several months.

Here are my pepper plants.

8 Likes

I took one pepper plant in but it didn’t like my living room. Dropped all the leaves. Looked too ratty. It went from the living room to the laundry room. I could take a picture but it won’t cheer anybody up. :slightly_smiling_face:
Your plants look great. How do you keep them from loosing all the leaves?

Some lose leaves ( Thai chili pepper). Others don’t. I think some are more sensitive to chanes of temp and humidity. Others are tougher and better adjusted to the change. They all need lot of sun and not much water.

1 Like

Here is my fig

2 Likes

Next year, I will try to ripen more figs indoor.

2 Likes

I am hoping this ripens , I am not sure it will. It has grown since the photo, there are three now

Before hard freeze, I had several pots of unripe figs. I only took in a pot that had the closest to ripen figs. Next year, I may bring in more pots.

1 Like

To ripen figs indoors, I recommend you bring them inside in late summer before temperatures start dipping significantly.

1 Like

These figs formed after I brought it in doors. I inadvertently left these unwatered in august and they lost all leaves , now I believe they think it is spring again

This is my 1st crop of Owari Satsuma. I’m leaving them on until I need them just to see how they do. DH loves my orange beef and orange turkey stirfry meals. I’m less concerned about eating the zest or peel from these.
IMG_1587-1
In the foreground of the picture below is a tiny Meyer Lemon.
IMG_1588-1
I’m not sure yet what triggers these into their fruiting cycle. It seems random to me. I also have a Washington Navel and Persian Lime that were rescues from someone who left them on the curb in 20 deg temps. They are recovering nicely but did not bloom last year.
That said, they are a beautiful sight in that south facing window with their dark green glossy leaves.

8 Likes

Very beautiful fruit and good job nursing the lime and orange back to health! Although I am jealous—why can’t MY neighbors throw out fruit trees?

1 Like