Fruiting a Peach Rootstock

Has anyone ever fruited a peach rootstock? I had a Santa Rosa plum that died back to the rootstock 2 years ago. I have no idea what the rootstock is as it was a tree from HD. I looked up Lovell and it apparently used to be a canning and drying peach. I am not sure what other common Peach rootstocks are used, especially for box stores.

I have fruit on right now, so I will try to remember to report back later this year.

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Lovell and Halford are canning peaches. Often, random peach seedlings are used as rootstocks and fruits from those can be anything depending on your luck — from great to mediocre.

You folks may know this already, but apparently Lovell rootstock is not a clonal rootstock. It is a seedling from Lovell. Presumably the seedlings are consistently good as rootstock. I’m not sure that means that the fruit from these seedlings are the same one to another.

1 Like

I have a few that have fruit on them right now. They are from Gurnery’s and listed on their chart, as Halford or Lovell seedlings. My plan was to graft to them, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.