Fruits for pot culture

Is there any good fruits that are marginally hardly that are worthwhile growing in pots (other than figs)? I was thinking of trying some nectarines, jujube, or Asian persimmon, but I don’t know how well they respond to pots.

@tonyOmahaz5 has successfully grown his persimmons in pots.

I don’t have a good result with nectarines in pots. The fruit quality is poorer and fruit size is smaller. Once I moved the first in ground, it produced tasty, large fruit. I moved my second nectarine in ground this week. I expect the same result.

2 Likes

Dwarf apples appear to do fine for me in pots.

1 Like

Most of my Blueberries are grown in pots.

Fig is the first one that comes to mind for me.

I’ve had a jujube in a pot for years and it would fruit, though not well. Eventually I had a problem with root suckers coming up as the roots don’t have much room to grow and poke up and push growth.

I have a morus nigra mulberry that I’ve had in a pot for over a decade and it fruits well most years, though i have to be judicious about watering.

Elderberry has done well in a pot for me. I’ve got 2 in a 25 gal pot and they look and fruit very well.

Scott

2 Likes

I have a few nects and peaches in 15 gal containers. Arctic Jay on Citation fruited first year. I see a lot of buds forming for next year.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I’m mainly looking for something that would do well in my climate during the growing season, but may not be completely hardy here (zone 4). I already have quite a few figs which is why I was looking for something else. I insulated my garage over the summer and have some more storage space I could keep something that goes dormant.

@Bradybb do you keep your blueberries in pots to better control pH?

That’s probably the main reason.When first growing them,they were planted in the ground,but only grew a little.With pots,I can choose the environment they live in,plus there are a number of then on my carport roof.
There was a guy who lived in southeastern Washington and grew Northern Highbush in big containers,which froze solid every Winter and grew fine when Spring came.

I am officially signing up for the ‘fruit trees in pots’ club, after hearing about others’ success. The deer have torn the MESS (as we say here in VA) out of my little fruit trees’ bark. Maybe if I take some new trees up closer to the house, in pots, they will leave them alone. So . . . I am going to order some new peaches and nectarines . . . and the heck with the plums! They will have to sink or swim, out in the orchard!
Any recommendations as to which peaches/nectarines might like ‘pot’ better than others? :rofl:
My Indian Free got a double whammy. First, the Deer. And then a storm split it. So - I thought I’d try another of those.
All other Peach & Nectarine suggestions will be appreciated!
PS - @mamuang . . . I read about your nectarine experience, but I am going to see what happens in my ‘microclimate’. I got ZIP from my Harko and Mericrest which are out in the orchard area . . . so maybe I’ll get something from a potted nectarine.

@pomgranny I have a bonanza dwarf peach in a pot and I stripped a bunch of fruits off it this year. There should be more next year. The growth rate is slow but it seemed to want to produce. It was only the first year so time will tell. Also, I thought the fruit was tasty.

Mine was in a 15 gal pot. If you can put your tree in a 20-25 gal pot, you may get better outcome.

OH @mamuang and @PomGranny forgot to mention that the tree is in a half wine barrel…sorry! I do think bigger is better for potted plants (which is kinda obvious)…especially in my hot climate

1 Like

I had a plum on semi-dwarfing rootstock that did really well for a few years and produced some nice fruit. Then I put it into the ground…but it did well for several years.

I suggest using a fabric bag instead of a real pot. That way you don’t have to root prune, and for anything of significant size you’ll need a hand truck to move it anyway.