Full size gooseberry

Does anyone know of an online nursery that sells gooseberries in larger sizes? I’ve purchased from one green world before and they were a little on the small side

Doubtful you will find much larger. I had the same gripe, everywhere I ordered they were puny.

Not full sized, but 2 year bushes from Burnt Ridge have born a few fruits the first spring.

2 Likes

Whitman Farms gave me some nice sized gooseberries a few years back: https://www.whitmanfarms.com/

2 Likes

Being new to this forum I ordered from stark bros and the base was roughly half in inch diameter with 7 or 8 branches from there. I think that’s pretty good for bare root. To be honest I probably will order more from burnt ridge and fruitwood nursery from now on.

This was a first year Pixwell gooseberry from Burnt Ridge. I gave it away last month because I would rather have a second white currant bush.

2 Likes

I have gotten a few currant and gooseberry plants form her (Whitman Farms)and they were all surprisingly large.

3 Likes

I second (third?) Whitman farms. Everything I ordered from Lucille was large, healthy, and reasonably priced. She also had some things I was looking for that weren’t listed, so don’t be afraid to ask. I’ve definitely gotten out of that habit with my years of e-shopping.

1 Like

Edible Landscaping sometimes has large plants available. They don’t have the same range of varieties that Whitman Farm does — and I agree that WF is a great option — but they have some good, reliable choices as well. Gooseberries - Edible Landscaping

2 Likes

I like EL, but they sell out of many things pretty quick. When I ordered berries they were all out. Still waiting on some from Isons. Guess we will find out what theirs are like shortly.

If you are vaguely local to the garden festivals the Edible Landscaping goes to, they do bring larger plants to those. I saw some larger apples and berry plants two years ago, too big to ship, and they were marked as ‘out of stock’ online. Don’t know what they would have this season, or if they are going to any shows.

1 Like