Fyrefly Apple

Curious if anyone has tried “Fyrefly” and what you think about it. A local “fruit stand” type place got them in and we’re always interested in trying new varieties… They’re not bad, I’d buy more of 'em…

Googling the name I find this one orchard in PA who say they’re the only one with them. I’m assuming it’s their cross and name…

A comment on the post by them:

They’re truly amazing! They have a very robust flavor - almost like crunching into a really delicious glass of apple cider with a great blend of sweet and tart varieties all mixed into one! They definitely have a sweet-tart profile. They remind me a little of Sun Crisp, but just way better!

4 Likes

The great thing about apples is that there is a variety out there for every taste and every purpose. If it becomes your favorite apple that’s all there is to it.

My favorite eating apple I grow is prairie magic, sweet tart and crisp with amazing pie texture. My daughter declared the Kerr crab apple tree to be exclusively for juicing, which is funny considering that it is the only apple cider she would drink. And our favorite apple for the hard cider blend is pretty much inedible, hard, acidity off the scale, tannic enough to staunch a wound, and yet magical in the cup.

Picked up three of them at a fruit stand that probably wasn’t taking the best care of the apples once out for sale as they wrinkled after a few days at home. Flavor was sweet, not very tart and one dimensional. A kids snack were these. Fresh off the tree would be a better judge.

The fruit has a unique orange blush. I cut into mine before thinking of a pic but you can see it’s not a red blush.

Next year I will try them a month earlier. It seems to be a big hit for the originating orchard and their local sales.
Resizer_16996447765630

1 Like

They certainly don’t appear to be a “keeper”. We bought some more this year and the few still in the fridge already seem less tasty than when we got them a ~month or so ago.