Garden Markers

I tried that on aluminum pop cans but this damn carpel tunnel pain is killing me. So I bought a cheap engraving tool. Doesn’t work very well though.

1 Like

I use tall garden stake lables along with a labels made with a p-touch thermal label maker I use a pt-1500 as it is the last one that works with mac osx.

Finally found some time to begin hanging some tags yesterday and today. Eventually, the blue ink will wear off.

4 Likes

Matt,

Very nice penmanship! I made a few using my copper roll. Not as pretty as yours :grinning:

3 Likes

@Appleseed70- Are you saying aluminum wire breaks down fast outdoors? I’ve been using 18 or 20 gauge alum wire thinking it would last a long time. Hope that’s true.

When a pen runs out of ink, instead of throwing it away, I just keep it with my orchard stuff. Yes, Matt in Maryland-I agree. A section of newspaper of papers on a clipboard makes a nice indentable writing surface. I realize that indentable is not a word. Also, yes, I do have to move the labels as the trees grow up. That’s ok and easy to do, when the branch goes from 1/2" thick to 4 inches thick, time for a new string. The one hole punch works really well on pop can material. I bought two at thrift stores for $1 each.
John S
PDX OR

After 5 years I decided to go and make some labels for my trees this year. Ended up buying some alum. tags and a stamp set off Amazon. They came out ok but nothing great since it’s hard to try and line the letters up but at least after all that noise, the neighbors probably think I was wrecking the inside of my house. Here’s what I bought and what the tags came out like. Btw…the reviews of the stamp set are correct, the box that they came in is really filmsy. I ended up using clear packing tape around the sides and bottom of the wooden box to keep it together.

4 Likes

@ljkewlj

Those are nice…

So how long do you figure it would take me to label 90 trees with 130 varieties.:grinning:

Mike

Exactly. I think I’d be doing to serious abreviations with a set of letter punches. No need to write plum, apple, etc. I’d abreviate the variety and put in a 2-digit year that the graft was made. i.e. GR-17 for a 2017 Goldrush graft.

Mike

I don’t have a workshop or even a workbench. I was sitting on an old wooden floor and was able to bang out around 65 tags between something like 1-1/2hrs to 2 hrs. I’m sure anyone else could do it quicker then I did.:laughing:

2 Likes

I am getting my hands on one of these from a friend of mine .

I have a sheet of two layer(color) ABS UV protected sheet. This laser has a working area of about 8" x 12" which will let me make 10 one and a half x four inch labels. Using Corel Draw I can create the ten labels on a 8x12 piece of ABS and then let the laser at it to engrave and cut.

On that size label I can put variety, rootstock, year planted and importantly expected rough ripening date.

Now if I can only make the thing work.

Wish me luck and I will keep all posted

Mike

2 Likes

I’m thinking about getting a Dymo M1011 labeler…

I have one of those, and like it. I use the stainless steel tape in it.

I was thinking the same. My handwriting is hard to read. Good job Matt!

My stamping needs some work but this is my plan for the year. I have a set of stamps over at dads that I need to get so I can make these really nice. Anyway, here is ayers , I liked the idea I saw here of spelling it backwards and then the letters are raised on the opposite side.

4 Likes

Looks like a durable label. The other half of a long lasting label is the method of attachment. I use 17ga galvanize wire.

1 Like

This is powder coated aluminum, in the past I used aluminum wire on aluminum tags but I think since this is powder coated I could use a steel wire

1 Like

Just went through this thread. Looks like everybody uses aluminum wire to hang their tag on the tree. Doesn’t that girdle the tree? I left the store name tag on my peach tree for few years and that branch got girdled. Just wondering if that happened to anybody .

I put mine on a loop of wire that would accommodate a four inch diameter limb

1 Like

Same with me.