Getting our freeze protection in place

Lowest we have ever seen is 12 degrees. Typical low pressure systems that pass thru bring us lows in the 20-24 degree range. The thing that you need to wrap your mind around about temperatures in the desert southwest is that we have very little humidity. Humidity is what stabilizes temperature. Without it we see wild swings. Right now we are seeing mid 70 degree days but then as soon as the sun disappears it swings 50 degrees down to below freezing.

Eric, about when does your winter end?

Great looking place you have there Amadio. PS…I like the tractor too.

1 Like

Depends on the year Muddy. Some years you cant depend on last frost until April 1. But most years winter in done by March 1.

Thanks Appleseed! Thats just a small portion of the property. Its what we call the backyard. As you can see fall comes late to us. We see our fall color between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And yes the tractor is truly awesome. We had 30 tons of gravel delivered yesterday for our driveway. With the tractor I had it spread and done in 1.5 hours and no sore back! If I had done that with shovels and the wheelbarrow it would have taken me all day and killed me. :slight_smile: Love that little diesel tractor.

1 Like

We got the rest of the freeze shelters finished this weekend. Lights are inside and double layer of Agribon 50 on top. Its all strapped tight and out to be until March.

3 Likes

Those look Awesome! But it seems like where the corners meet would be a problem since they aren’t thick and look like they may even have some cracks, no? Obviously it works for you, I’m just wondering if you do anything we can’t see in the areas where the corner of one stack meets the corner of another stack.

BTW… the guy across the street from me has a big sign up now that says “Straw Bales: $2.50”. I didn’t know how lucky I am!!!

We use pallet strapping to pull the bales together, then any gaps are filled by hand with loose straw. Its not perfect, but I only need a 10-15 degree rise in temperature…so it doesnt have to be. It could certainly be built in such a way that there are less gaps and thicker insulation if need be.

2 Likes

Amadio! Those ‘stacks’ are phenomenal. They are great looking and will work so well for you! Lights too. I cannot manage that in my small orchard of over 35 trees. Wow. So impressive. What we do for our fruit!

Its all a bit silly. For the amount of work I put into it I could really be far ahead just buying mangoes at the store. When I started growing mangoes, good mangoes werent available. But since then all kinds of chinese grocery stores have popped up and the varieties they carry are quite excellent. Kinda took my motivation away.

One of these years I will tire completely from doing it, rip them out and replant them with northern fruit. But im not there yet.

Its just kinda fun having mangoes growing next to cherries. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They are great looking mangoes. No sooner you would rip yours out and then the ones coming in would dry up. I like the feeling of producing my own of something.

Such delicious mango, I am jealous ! :yum:

1 Like

Drool!

1 Like

Last night, I finally got around to putting my potted figs and Angel Trumpet Brugmansia into the basement. I hate the winter.

Temps are still fairly mild here, but as we approach the winter solstice, these short dark days just bum me out.

Already can’t wait 'till spring. Oh well; at least I have some fig cuttings in the rooting bin that I can obsess over…

1 Like

Yeah me too, although I don’t use a bin like the videos, just a gallon bag and moss. I just planted two today that had roots. Under lights for now.