Give me Liberty

We have many issues trying to grow apples which appear to better suited to a more northerly climate. One of nice things is that I get a few that for whatever reason ripens early. This one was on the ground this morning without any apparent damage. Give me Liberty or more of them and I would be happy during the summer months.

12 Likes

Hi Bill- I hope you like them all!

I was surprised to see hints of watercore in your Lib. I’ll be interested in seeing if more of them do that; it’s something I don’t think I’ve seen before up here. Of course, we’re a few degrees north of you, and things are different in different places.

One thing I think I’ve figured out about Liberties is that they seem to like very hot weather when they’re ripening. Oh, and another thing is that they don’t ripen evenly, and it can be hard to tell even by testing. And, if you have enough to store some it’s probably best to pick them on the early side.

You apple sure has beautiful color, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

This apple had a good taste even with the water core. Several of the others are getting a little red on them. I’m slowly learning that most of my summer apples need to be picked a little early or they get heavy with water core. I have one dwarf tree devoted to it and a bigger limb on my pear tree. As of now Liberty is a keeper for me.

1 Like

I’ve had good years and so-so years with them, but never bad years. And I think they’re a great eating apple in their good years. They do great in the oven or as sauce, too.

Three downsides in my limited experience: The stems are short, they’re weird to prune, and they are codling moth magnets. Which reminds me, I should be spraying today or tomorrow!

1 Like

It’s gonna be a few years until I see fruit, but first and 2nd year Liberty trees have been doing well for me in 4b.

2 Likes

Glad you mention the short stems. I bag my apples when they are small so I don’t have much insect damage but they are difficult to get it on without damaging the fruit.

1 Like

My problem with Liberty is I didn’t like the taste of them!

But, I got rid of the tree without ever making a pie of them.

1 Like

There wasn’t a big post here on Liberty apples, so I’ll add to this one. We really like our liberty tree here in southern Michigan. It had a few apples in year 2. I thinned about half and wound up with about 4 or 6 apples. No spray in year two. We really like the taste. This is year 3 and the tree looks like this. Don’t judge the form…it’s not great.

3 Likes

Is that a recent photo? My Lib started blooming about 5 weeks ago, but unfortunately the early blooming ended up being mostly fried by a couple of hard feeezes. Thankfully, some blossoms survived and I have about a dozen fruitlets now.

Taken earlier today.

1 Like

I bag my apples but if I had more Liberties I would leave some without bags and see how pest resistant they are in my area.

Codling moth sure do love 'em! I use Spinosad and Triazicide for my first two sprays and seem to get buy with just Spinosad for the last two (generally have four generations a year, and knocking back the first two seems to give you a leg up on controlling the last two). I feel like I need to replace the Triazicide this year but I’m not sure what with; I might use Malathion.

1 Like

The short stems of liberty are hard to get zipped in a plastic bag.

3 Likes

I read somewhere that in Japan watercore is prized for the good flavor it brings to apples. Anyone else heard that or known otherwise?

2 Likes

Yes I have heard the same about water core.

I’ve heard that as well. I assume the downside of water core is the fruit doesn’t store well?

1 Like

Yep. Me too - and I actually like watercore myself.