Gold Monukka Table Grape

Not my experience – for decades.

Richard, are you spur pruning your grape?

No. :slight_smile:

https://articles.extension.org/pages/31528/spur-pruning

Richard are you pruning off all of the wood that grew last yr? If you are what canes are you leaving? Just ones that have been there two yrs or longer?

Yes. It is an established “T” trellis. Each of the 3 varieties has one 8’ upright trunk which branches into 2 horizontals, each of which are 16’ long to the left and right. Well ok, one of varieties branches 8’ to the right and 24’ to the left. In the winter of each year I remove all of the previous year’s canes back to the main T.

In March or April, each of the varieties begins sprouting new canes from the same location (nodes) as previous years.

That’s not cane pruning. Cane pruning involves leaving several canes that grew last yr. I cane prune and leave canes about 4 ft long of last yrs wood, about 40 buds of last yrs wood per vine. Figure 13.3 gives a visual of cane pruning. http://iv.ucdavis.edu/files/24432.pdf

Also all the experts say that the only fruitful shoots are those that arise from last yrs growth. Shoots arising from old wood, ie older that last yrs wood, don’t bear fruit.

You must be leaving some spurs of last yrs wood. A picture of where the fruitful canes arise each yr might help.

1 Like

If you zoom in on the pics, you can see what looks like 1/2" “spurs”. I’m guessing that what sprouts from the base of those (from Richard’s description) is associated with the younger wood.

1 Like

Incoming.

7 Likes

New cane with grape cluster on 5 year old vine :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Something about old grape vines that just look great.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Dangling vine with developing grapes :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Received this today :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Janet’s been at it again with fruit and photography :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Richard, do you share or sell cuttings of Gold Monnuka?
I wish I have one plant.

1 Like

Cuttings will be available in the winter via CRFG and myself, potted plants available for purchase next summer.

1 Like

@Richard, any updates on your Gold Monukka?

@Richard pls let me know if you plan to sell cuttings or potted plant. I am interested. Also, what is the width of the trellis canopy made from what seems like a 1"x1" wooden slats.

1 Like

Quote the grape trellis setup there @Richard

Very nice.

What are those concrete containers there with the plumbing. It almost looks like it could be used to raise fish or grow water plants like water lilies.

2 Likes

Planter beds during construction. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like