Goldenberry - coming soon

Dmitri 7a- Dmitri is my son’s middle name. :smile:
So your plants are ready are growing this year? I guess indoors? Here near Baltimore which is not much south of Philadelphia,The last month and a half has been so brutally cold and rainy that I haven’t put anything tender out yet.I have some tomato from seed and heirloom southern French melons indoors which Look like hippie’s hair

Thank you for your comments and that of the other couple people, I’m definitely going to try again, next year.

1 Like

I love your spreadsheet. I need to get more organized. Are you an engineer? :blush:

1 Like

Yeah I started the seeds indoors late February. They have been growing under strong grow lights at a constant 70°F until just last week.

My tomatoes have been in the ground for two weeks already. Didn’t really work out this year because we had frost the last two days and they took some damage.

No, but I pretend to be one, haha. I just really like using spreadsheets - use them a lot in my business managing online businesses.

3 Likes

Doing well so far! The husk of the largest fruit is golf ball size but the fruit inside is only half that size at this point - still a ways from being ripe. Definitely seems to be less productive than the classic gooseberry for now in terms of number of fruit.

6 Likes

In California they are perennial. My bush is 3 years old and seems to fruit constantly. It is about 5 ft tall. IMG_1673%20(1)

9 Likes

Bump

2 Likes

Sad to say my plant snapped near the base during a windy storm last year, well before ripening any fruit. If I grow it again I will use a tomato cage or something to give it support and start the plants indoors same time as peppers to give it the highest chance of fruiting.

4 Likes

I am sorry to hear about that.

1 Like

The ground cherry kind might work better in planters on my patio railing then. Less worry of snapping off, and easier to keep clean than on the ground.

2 Likes

JUst read this on Mother earth News
I also got to ask those cape gooseberries look like Chinese Lanterns
I saw some North In WI with golden berries , and picked the fruit it was good.

I think the best way to remove husks might be burning them off seems quicker but never tried

One of the earliest references to groundcherries surfaced in the journal of Aédée Feuillée (1682–1773), who was sent by the king of France on a botanical expedition to Peru and Chile from 1709 to 1711. The intrepid explorer not only found red currant tomatoes washed up on a beach, he discovered that the locals made a spread for butter and toast: “one makes of it a preserve with an agreeable and refreshing taste, which is given to the sick to restore their appetite” (1713–25, 3:5). This jam was made with the fruit of what is now called Physalis peruviana, a tropical perennial otherwise known as Cape Gooseberry or Poha. Curtis’s Botanical Magazine (27:1068) published a scholarly vignette about the berry in 1807, observing that it had already established itself in the Cape of Good Hope, the East Indies, and New South Wales in Australia. The American Garden (1888, 282) complained that the Cape Gooseberry was being offered as something new and valuable when it had been known to Americans for more than a hundred years and was “no better” than a dozen native species found in most parts of the United States. The problem with the Poha is that it is truly tropical at heart and is not likely to come to fruit in many parts of the United States. I have grown it for many years and have rarely gotten more than perfect specimens of the leaves. To obtain fruit, I must overwinter it in tubs.

The true groundcherries of early American kitchen gardens are annuals much better adapted to our untropical growing seasons, since they come to fruit in 65 to 75 days. Historically, there were three types of groundcherries and two types of tomatillos cultivated in my part of the country, not overlooking the fact that several of them were native to the Southwest and thus also a part of the regional cuisine there. Of the groundcherries, there were yellow-, orange-, and bronze-fruited varieties. Of the tomatillos, the most common had green-yellow or purple fruit. The groundcherries have fuzzy leaves, and for this reason they are often described botanically as Physalis pubescens. The tomatillos, or husk tomatoes, have smooth leaves and a different stem structure, as well as a different flower on close examination. They are described botanically as Physalis ixocarpa. There are many other differences between these plants, but the important point for the gardener unfamiliar with them is that the groundcherries I describe here will all cross with one another; thus they are all the same species, whatever we choose to call it. The tomatillos will also cross, but not with the groundcherries. Thus it is better to grow one groundcherry and one tomatillo each season than to battle with the unknown, for their genetics and methods of reproduction are poorly understood. Since the seed will keep for at least five years, it is possible to alternate varieties from year to year and in this manner preserve their distinctive culinary features.

1 Like