Got 2 large pine trees taken down: How to amend soil?

I took down 2 large pine trees (100 feet each, massive root balls) taken down as they were becoming hazardous.

The stumps were ground and now there is now a LOT of organic matter in the existing area, probably too much.

How best should I amend this to make it an ideal soil for growing fruit trees? Should I amend with sand, sandy loam or not bother amending at all? The native soil is clay. But that is atleast 9-12" below rich dark soil.

It depends on what you want to grow. The soil should be about perfect for blueberries. Otherwise you might want to try getting a soil test. God bless.

Marcus

I want to grow figs, persimmon and a couple of dwarf apples.
I agree it would be perfect for blueberries. I already have 10 bushes in that location and they are prolific.

Check the pH you might need lime if not doing acid loving plants like a blueberry.

1 Like

Thanks @GeorgiaGent, @coolmantoole
I am mainly concerned about soil composition. I can always add lime,fertilizer,compost later. I was wondering if a 80+% organic soil might be a bad thing and should be amended with loam, sand etc.

Sounds pretty ideal. Deep topsoil with lots organic matter. Blueberries, especially. Apples and pears sounds good. A pH test might be useful, as the soil might be acidic. BB

1 Like

Yes, for most species all the organic matter is good. All that organic material is going to oxidize away really fast anyway. Take advantage while it’s there. God bless.

Marcus

2 Likes