Grafting Decisions

Anyone have an opinion on:taste, diseases of Benham, Horse, Buckingham, Nickajack, or Junaluska apples?

Southern heirlooms I’m unsure about top-working into my trees before hearing from someone who has actually tasted them and dealt with disease issues.

Many thanks.

Steve

hambone, sorry you haven’t had any follow ups yet, and I wish I could help, but I haven’t tried any of those. Have you contacted the folks at either Big Horse Creek or Old Va. apples? You could also try Tom Brown at applesearch.org. I communicated with him through email, and he was quick to respond.

Thanks Rob. Those guys are so, so busy I hate to take their time but I do ask a question now and then. No harm in asking I guess.

Maybe one day enough people will grow heirlooms that this knowledge will not be so rare. I figure years ago when this was common knowledge no one ever imagined.there would come a day when it would even need to be written down.

hambone, check out this nursery, its another source for southern heirloom apples. The nursery is fairly new and I bet Kellie the owner would be happy to talk to you about those varieties.

http://winnsmillnursery.com.

Thanks Chris- yes she has sent me some good emails. I wish them well.