Grafting large Callery and Betulifolia pear rootstocks

I’ve done the grafts per your instruction with Asian pears this year and it’s worked like a charm. Thanks again.

2 Likes

@sockworth

This is the method that works for me. Someone may have a better method. Your welcome!

I spoke to a few local gardeners here and they mentioned Korean Giant isn’t FB resistant at all here. I think @Stan observed the same as well in Tracy. On my multigrafted A.pear tree, Shinseiki is the worst in terms of fireblight resistance. Almost gets it every year and I have to cut off large branches. Ya Li is pretty clean so far. It blooms early and sets abundant fruit even though there isn’t any overlap with others.

1 Like

@californicus … after more discussion and input from others… once my kieffer and imp kieffer trees (grafted to callery) mature enough…

I am going to add a few grafts of Orient, Ayers, Harrow Delight.

These are supposed to be quite resistent to FB… and both Ayers and HD ripen early… where the Kieffers are more mid/late.

It may ne next spring or the next before I make that final decision on other varieties to add.

One of the reasons i eliminated KG was that it ripens late… and i should already have loads of kieffer pears ripening late.

It would be nice to spread the harvest out some and adding early ripening varieties that are FB resistent… seems like the way to go.

2 Likes

Looks like you’ll be swimming in pears soon. In addition to spreading the harvest, I’d say adding diversity of flavor also helps to enjoy the harvest. With pears, the former is slightly less important as they do great in storage. Asian pears add nice diversity to Euro pears in texture and flavor. What I don’t have is a reliable list of FB resistant Asian pears. Many said KG is FB resistant but thats not the case here in my area. I think @clarkinks posted some slides from USDA which said Pai Li(?) is FB resistant. I should try grafting it to my tree next year.

2 Likes

@californicus

Yes look for the interspecific hybrids like ya li pai li etc. Pyrus bretschneideri an interspecific hybrid of Pyrus pyrifolia x Pyrus ussuriensis

1 Like

Does anyone else get anal about things being spelled wrong? I’m going through the list of pear varieties and there are about 1500 that are duplicates in one way or another. Too many of them are where someone spelled the name wrong. Which is why I’m pointing out that this thread is titled “Beautifolia”. Could it be edited to the correct name?

@Fusion_power

Yes anyone can edit a thread title to BET or Betulifolia.

I didn’t even notice the typo until it was called out by you.

Maybe @clarkinks was subconciously thinking “beautiful” + “leaf” = beautifolia.

2 Likes

@sockworth

This is a blogging site which is the equivalent of a text message. Don’t sweat the small stuff we have bigger things to be concerned with than a typo. It is not an English class. Many people dont post at all.

1 Like

@clarkinks I agree. I’m just pointing out “beautifolia” has coincindentally a nice meaning.

2 Likes

I don’t think Clark ever met a pear tree that was not “beautiful”. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some of these rootstocks push growth to fast and require pruning or staking! This one is ok for now. Today is May 24th 2023.

This photo below is 19 days ago as it first leafed out. Notice the steel post beside it.

1 Like

One of the top worked rows. It is hard to photograph grafts. It is even harder to photograph rows of them which is why noone ever does. Rootstocks grow kind of crazy but the rows stay “somewhat” straight. Usually if i have a random pear tree growing in there it got top worked also. There could be ohxf 97, BET , callery etc. In these rows. Some rows even have harbins. I’m consistent when i plant them, but things happen! The rows with harbin have all harbins for that part of the row. It was around 2017 or 2018 when Oregon was not shipping rootstock due to a virus. The harbin were planted around that time frame.

4 Likes

I checked my pears today. I have a few or more that should produce. I’m wondering whats going on with this one though. Its supposed to be a Kieffer along with one next to it. They were my first pears planted from Tractor Supply and dropped last year due to a late freeze. No pears on one and orange growth on the other with pears. The others came from nurseries and dont look like this.

1 Like

Thats quince rust on that pear. Pick off the fruits and next year you will need to spray for that. Thankfully both pears dont have it. Here is a thread where i would post those photos Pear Rust

1 Like

@blueKYstream

A cedar or similar evergreen nearby is acting as a host that needs removed.

I didnt see your link before responding. Ill check that out. Theres about 4 billion cedars surrounding the area. Im either going to have to live with the disease or topwork it I suppose. Ill read through that thread to figure out the best option.

I have a couple other Kieffer pears. One from Walmart had black spots for 2 years before clearing itself. The one from Century Farm Orchards has been clean. It has the first pears forming this year and they look clean so far.

1 Like

I have one other that has been struggling. The bark looks checkered or weathered. It did grow a new leader this year. I was going to replace it this year if that continued. Sorry to throw all my issues out there haha.

1 Like

@blueKYstream

That looks like possibly fireblight or sunburn.

1 Like