Grafting Prep- Don't wait until the last minute

It sounds like im jumping the gun but supplies can be hard to find. Rootstocks, grafting wax, grafting knives, saws, parafilm, tanglefoot, sharp saw, great books, grafting tools, scion wood can all be hard to find as the time gets nearer. Some years we start in February if its a warm year. That’s a little over a couple of months. What are your plans this year? Bench grafting starting in some cases in January is not a great deal of time.

1 Like

Sometimes I start as early as the last week in December with whip grafts. I don’t graft these this early for any practical reason other than to relieve boredom. Surprisingly most of these grafts succeed. Bill

1 Like

By ordering early I paid $ 1.50 per wax seal. We all know most of these sold are for grafting and not toilets lol.

I really like these corona saws but they are a little bit expensive. They are worth the money

1 Like

Now waiting on my new ars pruners to arrive. Drew and Alan are huge fans of them so im trying them out this year. I think grafting time is almost here in Kansas.

1 Like

The Bradford pears here at the office are pushing little green leaves out.

1 Like

Its time for your area. Sounds great!

1 Like

I’m a little hesitant yet. I will look at my pear tree at home tonight and see what it looks like, sure seems awfully early

1 Like

It is way to early but the weather does not seem to know any better.

1 Like

I grafted my pear on April 3 last year.

You can see a multi flora rose bush in the background that is leafed out. I noticed some of these pushing out little leaves Saturday but not this far along. I think we are less than a month earlier than last spring maybe between two and three weeks here, but nothing but warm temps in the forecast. It was 20 degrees at my house this morning but not hardly another morning below freezing in the next 7

1 Like

As soon as I see green pushing I’m going to graft like crazy. Those multiflora are a real pain. You had great results last year.

1 Like

You are quite a bit north of me but I don’t think there is that much difference in our zones. You may be closer to being a month ahead of last spring. Do you have anything showing leaves yet? Yes those dang rose bushes are kind of a pain. I have a couple of small ones that I pruned back and am going to try and graft this summer, it’s kind fun and it’s pleasant to turn some so useless into a rose.

1 Like

My pear tree has some branches that are the root stock, and it is much earlier than other varieties that I have grafted onto it. This is what the root stock looks like today.

1 Like

No leaves but the buds are swollen.

1 Like