Geneva GRIN scions

Just got a shipping notice, my scions are on the way :grinning:

I thought there was a way to determine if they were coming from Corvalis or Geneva previously? I couldn’t figure it out this time

Figured it out, they are my apple scions coming from Geneva

4 Likes

My apple scions just arrived. In great shape and of very nice caliper like always. I received 3 sticks of most requested varieties instead of the normal 2 this year. Anybody else?

1 Like

I’ve seen this topic talked about a lot on this site. So is GRIN a repository for just apple and pear scions? Do you have to pay for them, if so, how much? If not, do you have to use them in a certain way?

GRIN has many, many species of plants. I have only used them for apple and pear scions, but I have also looked at mulberry, raspberry, and blackberry information.

I use my GRIN scions for educational purposes. I am trying to determine which varieties will survive in central MN when grafted to b118, ranetka, dolgo, mm111, ussurian pear, or OHxF 97 rootstocks. I will then share that information with other local growers as well as with others via various internet forums/sites.

You can also use the scions for breeding or other agricultural research purposes.

Apple and pear scions are free, but I believe last year Corvallis was asking for free will donations to cover pear scion shipping costs. I can’t speak for any other plant species and cost.

6 Likes

I got 2 of each, 12" long, beautiful as usual. What a treat! This is plenty for my use so I’m glad they didn’t send any more, or I’d be looking around for any available shoot to graft them to. I hate to not make full use of what they send.

Got the email that pears are due to arrive Friday - both apples and pears managing to arrive during big storms! Good thing we have hardy UPS drivers to deliver the hardy varieties. Sue

2 Likes

Bob, Like Stu I’m using my GRIN scions to test out hardy varieties most of which I can’t get elsewhere, on various rootstocks with the plan to share info and scions and enourage growing more hardier apples & pears in our area, including uncommon but good varieties. It’s a long-term project. For me it’s really nice that others who live in cold climates, like Stu, Steve, etc., are doing the same thing since their results are useful for me, too. It’s a great service the ARS-GRIN-NPGS offers and much appreciated. I use them for varieties not commonly available for the most part.

There’s more info and discussion on this other thread, too: Very thankful for ARS GRIN programs! A plethora of pears & apples!
Sue

4 Likes

Just inspected mine this morning and they seem to be a smaller diameter than last year. They might challenge my grafting skills a bit more.

I received 3 scions of 3 varieties, 2 scions of the rest.

I have just received a GRIN shipping notification… I ordered on December 21st.

4 Likes

I hope I wasn’t passed over. I ordered Docteur Desportes and Fondante de Moulins Lille pear scions in Sept. and it says “PENDING” still.

I don’t think the Pear site at Corvallis has started shipping yet.

they ship my today

1 Like

Has anyone gotten their ship notification from UCD yet?

Just got an email from Corvallis, my package will ship Monday.

2 Likes

The first package I got was actually from Geneva and Corvallis has not shipped the scions yet.

My pears arrived today, long and beautiful! Along with the note same as last year where you can send a donation. Be nice if there were something similar for Geneva apples. So nice a service. I’ll be happily admiring and waxing tomorrow. Then back in storage till end of May. Sue

5 Likes

I’m sorry! I’ve got bud swell on my Niedzwetzkyana here in Kentucky.(Of course it hit 73 degrees yesterday…but in 20’s currently).

i got my pears from Corvallis so nice and big

7 Likes

Just got the email that Corvallis is shipping me something :astonished: I’m so excited! I will be waiting in anticipation to see if I get only pears or if they will send the ribes too. Exciting!!

4 Likes

Does Corvallis have a catalog like Grin does of the available varieties?

If you request pear scions, they come from Corvallis. It’s the same website you use for apple varieties

1 Like