Geneva GRIN scions

my box is out for delivery !

my box is out for delivery

i recive my peaches apricots and cherry sions from USDA-GRIN Davis they look so nice
thanks for the great sions USDA-GRIN Davis

6 Likes

When did you order?

i ordered in november 2018 peaces and apricots

1 Like

I was so surprised to see my order from last year fulfilled now. I thought it had been completely rejected!

Being surprised by the arrival of GRIN peach scionwood, I hadnā€™t ordered rootstocks in advance. Placed an online order for Lovell with Burnt Ridge only to hear several days later that they were sold out. Have now placed an order with One Green World. Cummins, less than half an hour away, has Marianna G8-1, but from what Iā€™ve read, including here, there are problems using it for many peach varieties.

Just got a shipping notice from Geneva. Seems a bit earlier this year.

2 Likes

Interesting, I wonder if itā€™s due to the erratic temps weā€™re getting here in NY State.

Maybe the US govt is shutting down after Friday! Just kidding, but they did some early shipments just before the shutdown last year.

2 Likes

I got a UPS shipping notice a couple days ago and thought it was for an Amazon order and I ignored it. Today I received scion from Geneva! Guess I need to inventory root stock and figure out what I want specific cultivars on.

5 Likes

Our order from Geneva came earlier this year as well. We are only about a half hour away, but I didnā€™t figure that would make a difference.

2 Likes

What do you like so much about keepsake?

Sweet, crunchy, juicy, good flavor

1 Like

Major mistake on my part. I completely forgot to order more cuttings for my class this semester. Thank goodness for elderberries and their ridiculous growth. Everyone is getting Bob Gordon cuttings to rootā€¦

1 Like

For those interested in requesting apples this year, itā€™s looking like a no-go. Hereā€™s the email I just got:

Dear Requestor,

Thank you for your interest and support of our apple conservation program. During the 2020 season we had an outbreak of streptomycin resistant fire blight throughout our apple orchards. As a result, we are not distributing apple summer budwood or dormant scion wood this year. Although we are managing this disease and are confident our collection can recover, spread of this pathogen through distribution would negatively impact growers and research and breeding programs. Our apologies if this hinders your projects.

For this season, we recommend an internet search for scions or contact your local nurseries for suitable alternatives. Plant Information Online (https://plantinfo.umn.edu/) is a resource to discover nurseries in North America with specific cultivars.

We are honored to be stewards of one of the worldā€™s largest and diverse apple collections and look forward to serving you in the future.

6 Likes

Wow so 2020 had an apple pandemic too lol??!!
Well maybe its time to put our apples in quarantine for a while lol :wink:

2 Likes

Research goes on.

Agronomy | Free Full-Text | Phenotypic Evaluation of Fire Blight Outbreak in the USDA Malus Collection | HTML (mdpi.com)

1 Like

A triple layer cloth mask so they suffocate? Maybe itā€™ll kill fireblight.

Haha yeah sounds like a plan, now we just have to find their face to put the mask on lol :slight_smile:

1 Like