Geneva GRIN scions

Did not know and wondered about that myself.Glad you posted that!

They sent me really nice sticks of scionwood last yearā€¦some bigger than my rootstocksā€¦I made successful grafts, so all is well.
Didnā€™t order any this year.

1 Like

Someone i talked to ordered Scions from GRIN on December 11th and received them in the mail yesterday.

2 Likes

Interesting. Maybe thereā€™s still a chance. I ordered scions as soon as GRIN was taking orders for them (October?)

1 Like

Good news. I ordered Pear scion . Hope they make it and get through the cold freeze. What are members receiving now Thanks.?

1 Like

Placed my order in September. Dawn created it in the system in November. Received my notice of shipment today.

2 Likes

In my email today: Hi Robishaw, you have a package coming. Scheduled Delivery Date: Friday, 02/01/2019 **
Iā€™m impressed!! The staff must have really hustled when they got back to work. I didnā€™t really think Iā€™d get anything this year. And thankfully they arenā€™t out for delivery today, or tomorrow (our garage where deliveries are left is a half mile from the house) (and Iā€™m not walking up there in this weather!). They wonā€™t arrive Friday anyway since not much is traveling in the upper midwest right now. But it should be back to just normal cold Friday anyway. I think these are the apples. Happy. Back to my orchard planning! Sue

5 Likes

Dawn is the best!!

3 Likes

Just received a shipping notification. These folks are great!

2 Likes

Got a shipping notification today. Good thing the refrigerator is cleaned out! Corvallis is great!

2 Likes

mi2 Got a shipping notification today grafting time !

1 Like

Just got a shipping notice, my scions are on the way :grinning:

I thought there was a way to determine if they were coming from Corvalis or Geneva previously? I couldnā€™t figure it out this time

Figured it out, they are my apple scions coming from Geneva

4 Likes

My apple scions just arrived. In great shape and of very nice caliper like always. I received 3 sticks of most requested varieties instead of the normal 2 this year. Anybody else?

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen this topic talked about a lot on this site. So is GRIN a repository for just apple and pear scions? Do you have to pay for them, if so, how much? If not, do you have to use them in a certain way?

GRIN has many, many species of plants. I have only used them for apple and pear scions, but I have also looked at mulberry, raspberry, and blackberry information.

I use my GRIN scions for educational purposes. I am trying to determine which varieties will survive in central MN when grafted to b118, ranetka, dolgo, mm111, ussurian pear, or OHxF 97 rootstocks. I will then share that information with other local growers as well as with others via various internet forums/sites.

You can also use the scions for breeding or other agricultural research purposes.

Apple and pear scions are free, but I believe last year Corvallis was asking for free will donations to cover pear scion shipping costs. I canā€™t speak for any other plant species and cost.

6 Likes

I got 2 of each, 12" long, beautiful as usual. What a treat! This is plenty for my use so Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t send any more, or Iā€™d be looking around for any available shoot to graft them to. I hate to not make full use of what they send.

Got the email that pears are due to arrive Friday - both apples and pears managing to arrive during big storms! Good thing we have hardy UPS drivers to deliver the hardy varieties. Sue

2 Likes

Bob, Like Stu Iā€™m using my GRIN scions to test out hardy varieties most of which I canā€™t get elsewhere, on various rootstocks with the plan to share info and scions and enourage growing more hardier apples & pears in our area, including uncommon but good varieties. Itā€™s a long-term project. For me itā€™s really nice that others who live in cold climates, like Stu, Steve, etc., are doing the same thing since their results are useful for me, too. Itā€™s a great service the ARS-GRIN-NPGS offers and much appreciated. I use them for varieties not commonly available for the most part.

Thereā€™s more info and discussion on this other thread, too: Very thankful for ARS GRIN programs! A plethora of pears & apples!
Sue

4 Likes

Just inspected mine this morning and they seem to be a smaller diameter than last year. They might challenge my grafting skills a bit more.

I received 3 scions of 3 varieties, 2 scions of the rest.

I have just received a GRIN shipping notificationā€¦ I ordered on December 21st.

4 Likes

I hope I wasnā€™t passed over. I ordered Docteur Desportes and Fondante de Moulins Lille pear scions in Sept. and it says ā€œPENDINGā€ still.