Geneva GRIN scions

I don’t think the Pear site at Corvallis has started shipping yet.

they ship my today

1 Like

Has anyone gotten their ship notification from UCD yet?

Just got an email from Corvallis, my package will ship Monday.

2 Likes

The first package I got was actually from Geneva and Corvallis has not shipped the scions yet.

My pears arrived today, long and beautiful! Along with the note same as last year where you can send a donation. Be nice if there were something similar for Geneva apples. So nice a service. I’ll be happily admiring and waxing tomorrow. Then back in storage till end of May. Sue

5 Likes

I’m sorry! I’ve got bud swell on my Niedzwetzkyana here in Kentucky.(Of course it hit 73 degrees yesterday…but in 20’s currently).

i got my pears from Corvallis so nice and big

7 Likes

Just got the email that Corvallis is shipping me something :astonished: I’m so excited! I will be waiting in anticipation to see if I get only pears or if they will send the ribes too. Exciting!!

4 Likes

Does Corvallis have a catalog like Grin does of the available varieties?

If you request pear scions, they come from Corvallis. It’s the same website you use for apple varieties

1 Like

Right but the catalogs are here. I don’t see one for the ‘pears’. https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/geneva-ny/plant-genetic-resources-research/docs/apple-grape-and-cherry-catalogs/

A sample search using “pear”
https://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgsold/swish/accboth?query=pear&submit=Search!&sort=swishrank&si=0&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverse

1 Like

There were quite a few unpaid employees ‘at work’ at NCGR-Corv during the shutdown, and of course shipping, etc., costs; so, (as a volunteer fruit picker and scion cutter at the Corvallis site) I’ll just add another reminder here that a little donation goes a long way…I think there’s a button right on the web page. I did just sent a note to the Curator (Corv) about how much appreciation I’m seeing on this forum. Nice.
Edit: He was really happy to hear that.

9 Likes

https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html

1 Like

I got my sad news. I thanked Dawn and will try my hand at summer budwood again.

Hi Everyone,

We have been back at the Plant Genetic Resources Unit here in Geneva, New York for a week now and trying to regroup on all levels. I have been sorting through the several hundred requests that were waiting for us either through USPS and the open again website GRIN Global.

I have gone through and pulled out those of you I recognize after twenty years of processing your requests. You are part of a BCC group of emails that I have compiled to contact personally. Despite our best efforts, we will not be able to collect and ship any more scion wood this season. We are behind on maintenance of the orchards and vineyards and the weather hasn’t helped.

I have set your requests aside and am asking if you would like to receive the material as summer bud wood instead? It would ship mid- August. I can also file your request in my new file that I have already created for next winter’s distributions.

We really appreciate your understanding with this matter.

Thanks so much……

Dawn

7 Likes

I received a box today from Corvallis! I was having a rough day but that box has really cheered me up. They did send the note that it costs them about $10 to gather and send out the materials, and I will gladly contribute. I am so very appreciative of the service they provide. For being a newbie (never ordered from them before) and the gov shutdown going on, I am beyond pleasantly surprised to have a box of goodies.

What I received:
Bergamotte Esperen Pear
Lucy Duke Pear

Risager black currant

Tatran, Heros, Stephens, and Wilson’s Long Bunch red currant

Industry, Hinnonmaen Keltainen, Red Jacket, and Karpaty gooseberries

I am new to grafting/propagating so I chose things that have a higher success rate to start with. I plan to share the plants with the parks service here and the public schools. A lot of schools here have little gardens for the kids. I’ll have to be careful though, as some of the cuttings of the gooseberries are super spiky! Those will go to the parks and not the schools. :grin:

2 Likes

$10? That’s a bargain. I would be happy to pay that and more. The scions are huge compared to most commercial sellers.

3 Likes

Absolutely, the pear scions were as long as my arm. I’m a small person but those are still big twigs!

3 Likes

Surprise. Surprise. Peach scionwood from USDA-GRIN Davis just arrived at my door. I ordered it two and a half years ago.

8 Likes