Ground cherries/golden berries/physalis

There was some interest over in Gardening in ground cherries.
@subdood_ky_z6b @k8tpayaso and others I can’t remember!
These were originally from Baker Creek seeds, but I just let them come up from dropped fruit. The fruit is only ready to eat when it drops from the plant and is completely golden.

4 Likes

I have grown these and enjoy the fruit. The species is Physalis pubescens which is in the same family as tomatoes but a different genetic tribe.

2 Likes

I’ve heard they reseed. Are you having problems with bugs/worms/something eating yours?

1 Like

Snails are a problem here.

1 Like

Nope. Little children decimate them though. They love unwrapping them!

3 Likes

Same problem occurs with tomatillos.

2 Likes

I just received seeds for the new variety offered by Baker called Hanover. I’ll wait til next year to plant them. Too much going on and probably won’t get many to mature if I plant this late date.

2 Likes

In my experience, Baker likes to pretend that they have a cultivar when actually it’s just seedlings leftover from their seed harvest. In my opinion, that seller has so much hype they ought to be boycotted.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thread. I’ll have to look into maybe trying some next year. The neat thing is their cool little wrapper.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t even have a garden in ground, everything is raised beds and containers, and I grew some two years ago. I pulled up 6 plants yesterday.
I like them but you get hundreds of fruits. I don’t like them that much.
I was house cleaning my garden yesterday, i also found 4 tomato plants! I put them in better spots.

3 Likes

If you are in to fermenting, they make a good fermented pickle. Use a brine similar to one used for cucumbers. They store a long time that way and are tasty. Can use them in salads or as a garnish for meat, etc…

2 Likes

My kids like these better than tomatoes, so I’ve been adding more and more. I also got a lot of volunteers this year

3 Likes

Haven’t tried fermenting them, they are too good fresh and dried. Drying accentuates the vanilla and pineapple notes, and they make the most divine oatmeal raisin cookies!
@k8tpayaso They do self seed if you miss fruits. I just let them and weed out the ones I don’t want. Saves starting them inside and doesn’t seem to slow them down any. I’d rather have nice weeds than bad ones.

3 Likes

Any recipes?

Do you dry them whole? Pricked, halved?

1 Like

This is my first year to grow them. I like them but there’s a lot of waste for me with bugs eating them. And I don’t even see the bugs just find empty pods that have been eaten. I did make some jam that is absolutely delicious though.

1 Like

Husked and dipped in boiling water till the skins crack. Then shock in ice water, drain, and dehydrate.

5 Likes

This is true!!!

1 Like

You can pick them before they hit the ground. If the husk is dried out, it should be ripe; mine will often cling to the vine in that state. Even if the husk is yellowing, you can usually get away with picking them.

1 Like

One of my friends hates BCS too, but I’ve never had any problem with them or their seeds. But then, I research stuff pretty heavily before buying very selectively.

1 Like

That’s so weird! Nothing touches them here. Just goes to show how much locations differ.
My super health food mom swiped a whole quart jar of dried ones. It represented about five pounds before drying! So much time spend husking! Oh well, she’s my mom.

2 Likes